Server Move, Small downtime monday

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about purchasing a dedicated server for PF and preparing for the switch which will happen on Monday. The network admins estimate a 10-15 minute downtime while they update the DNS and resync the database from the shared server. The speaker thanks the others for their patience and mentions being on the road during that week. They also mention having other distractions to keep them from missing PF during the downtime and remind others to pack carefully for the move.
I've purchased a dedicated server that will service PF for hopefully most of the future. The switch is happening sometime monday. The network admins estimate a 10-15min downtime while they update the dns and resync the database from the shared server. Thanks for your patience :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
How will i live for those 10-15 minutes

sounds good

works for me! i will be in on the road all that week anyway, and will miss my PF!

Now I don't feel so bad about being away Monday. I'll have other distractions to keep me from missing PF quite so much during the 10-15 min downtime. Make sure you pack carefully for the move, we don't want to come back and find stuff broken :biggrin:

1. What is a server move?

A server move is the process of physically moving a server from one location to another. This can involve transferring data, settings, and configurations from the old server to the new one.

2. Why is there a small downtime on Monday?

The small downtime on Monday is necessary in order to complete the server move. During this time, the server will be offline as it is being physically moved and set up in the new location.

3. How long will the downtime last?

The exact duration of the downtime will depend on the complexity of the server move and the amount of data that needs to be transferred. However, our team will work efficiently to minimize the downtime and get the server up and running as soon as possible.

4. Will there be any data loss during the server move?

We take great care to ensure that there is no data loss during the server move. Our team will perform backups and take all necessary precautions to ensure that your data is safely transferred to the new server.

5. Will there be any impact on my website or services?

During the small downtime on Monday, your website or services hosted on the server will be temporarily unavailable. However, once the server move is complete, everything should go back to normal and there should be no further impact on your website or services.