Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Server move this weekend!

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    Pack your things cuz we're movin! We've been livin like a 20 member family with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath for far too long! Increased traffic and site add-ons are bogging us down. We want to eliminate downtime, crashes and lag.

We hope to start the move Friday night or Saturday morning. The DNS should be updated by Monday morning and then PF will be for all to use. So please be patient if the site seems down this weekend and when it back up things may not all be working.

If you find PF worthwhile I would highly encourage everyone who isn't a Gold Member to think about upgrading. The new server is almost twice the cost! https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks to all the contributors for helping make this possible! And thanks Greg for doing the dirty work!

Does everyone have their patches to ward off PF withdrawals while the server is moving?

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks for the new digs, Greg! This is my favorite site, and it's getting a bit pokey of late. If you need to jump-start contributions or sell multi-year membership bundles to make this work, please let us all know.

5. Oct 14, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Friday night to Monday? :surprised

Ok, I need to get a bunch of videos and some books.

Greg, try to get some rest while doing this. I know how it is to start trying to figure out what's going wrong and losing all track of time.

I cannot thank you enough for all you do. I guess it's time for me to cough up some money again too.

6. Oct 14, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is wonderful news Greg!

I'm happy to be a contributor and I plan on being one for a long time to come!

7. Oct 14, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, great work, Greg!

Thanks for all you do - I appreciate it!

8. Oct 14, 2008 #7
    You can count on me.

9. Oct 15, 2008 #8
    I just thought of this. PF Email will be disrupted this weekend as well.

10. Oct 15, 2008 #9

Borek

So no chat on Sunday? :cry:

We will communicate sending postcards?

11. Oct 15, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean I don't have to sleep in a drawer anymore! Can I get my own room?!?

12. Oct 15, 2008 #11

Borek

No, but you can move from the drawer to closet.

13. Oct 15, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Hey! The closet is mine!

True story - when I was 10, our family outgrew the little rental house we were living in, so my father managed to get a mortgage on a 3br house nearby. Parents in one bedroom, two youngest sisters in one large bedroom, younger sister got a bedroom all to herself, and I got a walk-in closet with just enough room for a single bed and a small chest. The closet was on the NW corner of the house, and when I came home for Christmas break during my Freshman year at college, my mother met me at the door with tears in her eyes apologizing for that "bedroom". It seems she had decided to store potatoes and apples in that room, and they all froze. I TOLD them it was cold in there - I guess I didn't complain enough. I would go to bed wearing my clothes and with every blanket I could round up.

(If your going to hijack a thread, you might as well hijack the host's thread....)

14. Oct 15, 2008 #13
    A server move, and I have nothing new to wear for the occasion? Eh Gads!

15. Oct 15, 2008 #14
    Wait, I can hook you up with the Sisterhoods moving van!
    [​IMG]

16. Oct 15, 2008 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Argh! Hey! Let's not get caught with our pants down this time! Let's plan an alternate meeting place in case the site's down for longer than ... I guess about an hour ...

17. Oct 15, 2008 #16

Evo

This is major, the site is going to be down a lot. This isn't just a little update like the last couple of times.

18. Oct 15, 2008 #17

Borek

We, postcarders, at least have exchanged snail mail addresses :)

19. Oct 15, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, you should be glad you got your own drawer! I've had to share the bed with Evo and she steals the blankets, kicks, and has cold feet! :surprised

20. Oct 15, 2008 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But what will we do Sunday? Sunday morning is coffee and chat time for me. I'll be so sad.

21. Oct 16, 2008 #20
    FYI, due to a billing conflict it is very likely we will go down later this afternoon instead of tomorrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?