1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Server options

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    i recently had the thought of running a server from an external hard drive. would that be possible? i.e., loading windows onto the HD, loading my programs and the like. possible?

also, i saw on Attack of the Show a while back (when it was still The Screen Savers) where they had a server so small they ran a website out of someone's bum. anyone know what that's called?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

-Job-

Science Advisor

Are you talking about running a server exclusively from a HD (without a processor or network card) or loading the server OS from an external drive into a machine? The first one is clearly not possible.

4. Dec 11, 2006 #3
    I've seen chips for sale with 10 megs of flash ram that could function as web servers if installed on a board with a network connector. I think they ran a version of linux. I have a friend that tried to hook one up in his house connected to a USB 300 GB drive to save the power needed to run a whole computer, I don't know if he ever got it working. (note to self, call Adam this weekend).

5. Dec 11, 2006 #4

-Job-

Science Advisor

Pretty much any machine with a processor, memory and network interface can be a web server. If you have a portable device with these capabilities, as long as you can reach it through the network, you can have it serve web pages.

6. Dec 21, 2006 #5
    i was gonna use it to run a dedicated Teamspeak and game server

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?