External HD as a Server? Bum-Cased Server?

• Thread starter kurushio95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of running a server from an external hard drive, either by loading a server OS onto the HD or using a portable device with a processor and network connection to serve web pages. The conversation also mentions the potential use of a server for running a dedicated Teamspeak and game server.
kurushio95
i recently had the thought of running a server from an external hard drive. would that be possible? i.e., loading windows onto the HD, loading my programs and the like. possible?

also, i saw on Attack of the Show a while back (when it was still The Screen Savers) where they had a server so small they ran a website out of someone's bum. anyone know what that's called?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you talking about running a server exclusively from a HD (without a processor or network card) or loading the server OS from an external drive into a machine? The first one is clearly not possible.

I've seen chips for sale with 10 megs of flash ram that could function as web servers if installed on a board with a network connector. I think they ran a version of linux. I have a friend that tried to hook one up in his house connected to a USB 300 GB drive to save the power needed to run a whole computer, I don't know if he ever got it working. (note to self, call Adam this weekend).

Pretty much any machine with a processor, memory and network interface can be a web server. If you have a portable device with these capabilities, as long as you can reach it through the network, you can have it serve web pages.

i was going to use it to run a dedicated Teamspeak and game server

What is an external hard drive used as a server?

An external hard drive used as a server is a method of utilizing an external hard drive to store and share files over a network. It can be used to store large amounts of data and make it accessible to multiple devices.

How does an external hard drive server work?

An external hard drive server works by connecting the external hard drive to a computer or router and configuring it to act as a server. This allows devices on the network to access the files stored on the external hard drive.

What are the benefits of using an external hard drive as a server?

The main benefit of using an external hard drive as a server is the ability to store and share large amounts of data without taking up space on individual devices. It also allows for easy access and sharing of files among multiple devices on the same network.

Can any external hard drive be used as a server?

Not all external hard drives are designed to be used as servers. It is important to check the specifications of the external hard drive to ensure it has the necessary features and capabilities to function as a server.

What is a bum-cased server?

A bum-cased server is a term that refers to a makeshift or improvised server that is not a permanent or professional solution. It may refer to using an external hard drive as a server or using a computer with minimal resources to act as a server.