Savox SB2272MG Digital Servo: Precise Enough for Sinusoidal Motion?

In summary, The conversation is about using a Savox servo motor to generate a pitching motion and whether or not it is precise enough to create a sinusoidal motion. There is a discussion about the definition of precision and the previous experience with a different motor not producing a smooth and accurate sinusoidal motion. The person also asks about the location of 0 degrees on the servo and the refresh rate and speed of the controller.
pyroknife
I bought a Savox servo motor (http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SB2272MG_Digital_Servo_p/savsb2272mg.htm)

I'm planning on using the motor to generate a pitching motion sinusoidally from 0 to 60 degrees back to 0 and so on...

Do you guys think this motor is precise enough to generate the sinsusoidal motion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nothing about that servo prevents it from creating a sinusoidal motion. When you say precision what precision are you looking for? What do you plan to control it with?

I will be controlling it with an Arduino. On a previous motor I used (which was more expensive than this one), I used a high speed camera to videotape the motion and noticed that it was not smooth and didn't look very sinusoidal like. So by precision, I mean the motion is smooth and mimics the code very closely.

Also, does anyone know where 0 degrees is on a servo?

What was the refresh rate for the controller and how fast were you driving the motor? It could be you were driving the servo beyond the capabilities of the hardware you were using...

I cannot provide a definitive answer without conducting tests on the Savox SB2272MG digital servo. However, based on the specifications provided by the manufacturer, it appears that this servo is capable of producing precise and accurate movements. It has a high-resolution digital control circuit and a precision metal gear train, which suggests that it can handle precise movements such as sinusoidal motion. However, the accuracy of the motion will also depend on the specific setup and conditions in which the servo is used. I would recommend thoroughly testing the servo in your specific application to ensure it meets your requirements for precision.

What is a Savox SB2272MG Digital Servo?

The Savox SB2272MG Digital Servo is a type of motorized device used in robotics and other machinery to control and manipulate movement. It is specifically designed for precise, sinusoidal motion.

How does the Savox SB2272MG Digital Servo work?

The servo uses a small motor, a control circuit, and a feedback mechanism to accurately position the output shaft. The control circuit monitors the position of the shaft and sends signals to the motor to adjust its movement, resulting in precise motion.

What makes the Savox SB2272MG Digital Servo suitable for sinusoidal motion?

The servo has a high-resolution pulse width modulation (PWM) control system, which allows for precise and smooth movement. Additionally, it has a high torque output and low backlash, making it ideal for sinusoidal motion applications.

What are the main features of the Savox SB2272MG Digital Servo?

Some of the key features of this servo include a coreless motor for fast and efficient operation, a durable metal gear train, and a waterproof design for use in harsh environments. It also has a wide operating voltage range and programmable settings for customization.

How can the Savox SB2272MG Digital Servo be used in scientific research?

This servo can be used in a variety of scientific research applications, such as robotics, biomechanics, and motion control experiments. Its precise and smooth movement capabilities make it a valuable tool for studying and analyzing various types of motion.