Serway Physics Momentum Help

In summary: After the collision, the cue ball has a y velocity of 1/3 of its original x velocity and a x velocity of 2/3 of its original x velocity.
air4ce

Homework Statement

A cue ball traveling @ 4m/s makes a glancing elastic collision with a target ball of equal bass that is initially at rest. The cue ball is deflected @an angle of 30°. Find the angle between the two velocity vectors; and the speeds of the two balls post collision.

Homework Equations

[tex] KE= 1/2mv^2 \\
P=mv
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] m_1=m_2 \\
m_1*v_1=m_1*v_{1f} + m_1*v_{2f} \\
v_{1f}=4-v_{2f}
[/itex]
Stuck here. I know I have to use Kinetic Energy, but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of an elastic collision?

SHISHKABOB said:
What's the definition of an elastic collision?

One where both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved.

So use conservation of kinetic energy to apply another constraint to the problem.

[itex]
.5m_1v_{1o}^2 =.5m_1v_{1f}^2+.5m_1v_{2f}^2 \\
v_{1o}^2=v_{1f}^2+v_{2f}^2 \\
v_{1f}=\sqrt{v_1^2-v_2f^2} \\
[/itex]
Am I on the right track?

Yes and also don't forget to separate conservation of momentum into both x and y. Write a conservation equation for both directions and use the results of that as well.

So the horizontal momentum cancels and the vertical momentum totals the momentum of the cue ball?
Since the angle of cue ball is 30, I use the two equations to find [itex] v_{1fy} [/itex] and then solve for the horizontal? That's going to be equal and opposite to the struck ball's x velocity, so I have both velocities, use pythagorean theorem and I'm done? Check the logic please!

well when we write out the momentum in x and y we get

[itex]x: mv_{1,x} = mv^{'}_{1,x} + mv^{'}_{2,x}[/itex]

and

[itex]y: 0 = mv^{'}_{1,y} + mv^{'}_{2,y}[/itex]

where the prime denotes "after the collision"

so

[itex]mv_{1} = mv^{'}_{1} + mv^{'}_{2}[/itex]

is really only half of it. But can you see how you can use pythagorean's theorem to relate the x and y components to the magnitude of the vector?

I think your X and Y's are flipped, but yeah I get the point. But I only know two of the 4 quantities, the ones before the collision, and one KE equation. How does that work?

Since all the masses are equal we can do away with them in the various expressions. Similarly, we can do away with the (1/2)m's in the kinetic energy terms. Call the initial velocities v and final velocities u, with appropriate subscripts for the x and y components, of course.

The given departure angle for the cue ball gives you a relationship between its y and x velocities as it departs. Namely, the ratio is tan(30°), or ##1/\sqrt{3}##, so that:
$$\frac{u1_y}{u1_x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}$$
Now, what does conservation of momentum have to say about the relationship between the y-velocities u1y and u2y ?

And what does it say about about the sum of the x-velocities?

That's three equations already, and conservation of KE hasn't been considered yet...

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum of all objects remains constant. This means that the initial momentum before a collision or interaction will be equal to the final momentum after the event.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to the motion of an object around a fixed point or axis.

4. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This usually occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion or when an object has a negative velocity.

5. How is momentum related to force?

Momentum and force are related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. In other words, the more force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.