'Set' as an undefined term

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Term
In summary, the conversation discusses how mathematicians view the concept of set and whether the word "set" has a specific meaning outside of set theory. It also touches on the difference between sets and proper classes and how they are used in different contexts. The conversation ends with the question of whether the term "set" follows the axioms of a complete set theory and if the deductions given by set theory are valid for this concept.
Werg22
I'd like to know how most mathematicians view the concept of set. When used in a context outside of set theory, does the word "set" take a meaning (as opposed to leaving it as an undefined term in a set theory) that does in fact follow the axioms of a complete set theory, and therefore all deductions (theorems) that are given to us by such a set theory are also valid for this meaningful set concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
A set is small. A proper class is large. Practically, for me, proper classes will come up when ever I need to have set indexed things, thus one will (usually) have a proper class of objects in your category. For example, set theory rarely intrudes into the world of finite dimensional representations of a group - there is a set of isomorphism classes of these things, though there is a proper class of fin dim reps. The category of fin dim reps is called skeletally small owing to this fact.

But if one wishes to allow arbitrary products and coproducts (i.e. indexed by arbitrary sets), then there is no way to get round the fact that you now have a proper class of pair-wise non-isomorphic objects.

matt, I don't believe that answers the question that was intended.

Werg22, in applications of set theory "outside" of set theory, specific sets are defined. The term "Set", itself, is "given" from set theory.

What does the term 'Set' mean in science?

The term 'Set' in science refers to a collection of objects or elements that are grouped together based on a common characteristic or property. These elements can be anything from numbers, letters, or even living organisms.

How is a set defined in science?

In science, a set is typically defined as a well-defined collection of distinct objects, with each object in the set being unique and clearly distinguishable from the others. This means that there can be no duplicates within a set.

What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A subset is a set that is contained within another set. In other words, all the elements of a subset are also present in the larger set. However, a set can have elements that are not present in its subset.

Can a set have an infinite number of elements?

Yes, a set can have an infinite number of elements. This is often seen in mathematical sets, such as the set of all whole numbers or the set of all real numbers.

How are sets represented in science?

Sets are typically represented using curly braces { } to enclose the elements of the set. For example, a set of even numbers can be represented as {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}. In mathematics, sets can also be represented using set-builder notation, which uses a rule or condition to define the elements of the set.