1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set builder notation

1. Jan 23, 2005 #1
    How would you describe this set in plain English:
    [tex]\text{POS}_\lambda(\alpha) = \alpha_\lambda^0 \cup \{\kappa - \{\lambda\}|\kappa \in \alpha_\lambda^+\}[/tex]

where:
    [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a literal
    [itex]\kappa[/itex] is an [itex]\vee[/itex] clause with the set [itex]\kappa = \vee_{j\leq m}\;\lambda_j [/itex] represented as [itex] \kappa = \{\lambda_j|j \leq m \}[/itex]
    [itex]\{\lambda\}[/itex] is a unit clause consisting of just a single literal [itex]\lambda[/itex]
    a CNF formula [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a set [itex]\alpha = \wedge_{i\leq n}\;\kappa_i [/itex] represented as [itex] \alpha = \{\kappa_i|i \leq n \}[/itex]

a clause [itex]\kappa[/itex] is called [itex]\lambda-positive[/itex] if [itex]\lambda \in \kappa [/itex]
    a clause [itex]\kappa[/itex] is called [itex]\lambda-negative[/itex] if [itex]\neg \lambda \in \kappa [/itex]
    a clause [itex]\kappa[/itex] is called [itex]\lambda-neutral[/itex] if [itex]\kappa [/itex] is neither [itex]\lambda-positive [/itex] nor [itex]\lambda-negative [/itex]
    if [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a set of clauses, [itex]\alpha_\lambda^+[/itex] is the set of [itex]\lambda-positive [/itex] clauses of [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\alpha_\lambda^-[/itex] is the set of [itex]\lambda-negative [/itex] clauses of [itex]\alpha[/itex], and [itex]\alpha_\lambda^0[/itex] is the set of [itex]\lambda-neutral [/itex] clauses of [itex]\alpha[/itex].

At first, I was reading [itex]\text{POS}_\lambda(\alpha)[/itex] as the union of the [itex]\lambda-neutral [/itex] clauses of [itex]\alpha[/itex] with the [itex]\lambda-positive [/itex] clauses of [itex]\alpha[/itex] but excluding the unit clause [itex]\{\lambda\}[/itex]. But apparently it is intended to be read as the union of the [itex]\lambda-neutral [/itex] clauses of [itex]\alpha[/itex] with the [itex]\lambda-positive [/itex] clauses of [itex]\alpha[/itex] but with ALL of the [itex]\lambda[/itex] terms EXCLUDED from those clauses.

WHY is it read that way? Or, to put it another way, why was it not written as [itex]\text{POS}_\lambda(\alpha) = \alpha_\lambda^0 \cup \{\kappa - \lambda|\kappa \in \alpha_\lambda^+\}[/itex]. (Why did they put their [itex]\lambda[/itex] in brackets {}?) And how would you write set-builder notation for "the [itex]\lambda-positive [/itex] clauses of [itex]\alpha[/itex] but excluding just the unit clause [itex]\{\lambda\}[/itex]."

This comes from Computability, Complexity and Languages by Davis, Sigal and Weyuker, section 12.4, discussion of the Davis-Putnam rules for algorithms to manipulate CNF formulas.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bleh, one day I'll learn this terminology.

The expression A - B is the set formed from everything in the set A that is not in the set B. Thus, to "remove" the element λ from the set κ, you have to subtract off the singleton set containing λ.

4. Jan 23, 2005 #3
    Hmmm...

It becomes surprisingly clear when you put it that way.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?