1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Equivalencies and stuff

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Alright so I was trying to solve this using logical equivalences:

Fill in the blanks to make true identities:
    [itex] C \backslash ( A \Delta B) = (A \cap C) \Delta [/itex] ______

I made it to the end where I stated that the missing part was (C\B), but I'm not sure if my last step was justified

2. Relevant equations
    Equivalences

3. The attempt at a solution [\b]

I'll skip most of the steps (there were about 9) because I suck at latex but the last few are (working from the left side):

[itex] [ ( x \in C \wedge x \in A) \wedge (x \notin A \vee x \in B) ] \vee [ (x \in C \wedge x \notin B) \wedge (x \notin A \vee x \in B) ] \\
    [ (C \cap A) \cap (B \cup (x \notin A) ] \cap [ (C \backslash B) \cap (B \cup (x \notin A) ] \\
    C \backslash (A \Delta B) = (A \cap C) \Delta (C \backslash B) [/itex]

So in the 2nd to last step, I dropped [tex](B \cup (x \notin A)[/tex] from both sides of the union because of the definition of symmetric difference which says that they would be dropped even if I left them in. Is this correctly justified?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2
    Screw latex, here's a scan of my work

anyway, in the 2nd to last step I dropped (B union ...) out of both sides due to the fact that they would get dropped anyway when symmetric difference was thrown in, is this justified?

Attached Files:

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    Okay so I rewrote [itex] [ ( B \cup ( x \notin A ) ] [/itex] because I realized that notation doesn't make any sense (which I originally knew but wasn't sure how to express the -xEA part in set notation) and came up with [itex] [ B \cup ( C \backslash A ) ] [/itex] which I believe is a way of representing that in this context (where the only values we are talking about are represented in sets A B and C)

Is this rewrite correct or is there some way of representing -xEA using set notation that I don't know about?

Anyway, after plugging that in I realized that the 2nd to last line reads:
    [itex] [ ( C \cap A ) \cap ( B \cup ( C \backslash A ) ] \cup [ ( C \backslash B ) \cap ( B \cup ( C \backslash A ) ] [/itex]
    And because of the first part which reads [itex] [ ( C \cap A ) ][/itex], having [itex] [ (C \cap A ) \cap ( C \backslash A ) ] [/itex] is a contradiction, and because of that I can drop [itex] ( C \backslash A ) [/itex] from the equation on both sides.

Then, again because of the definition of symmetric difference (and because it's also a contradiction) I drop the [itex] \cap B[/itex] from both sides because it would be removed regardless.

Is this correct?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook