Set M of all elements not in M

In summary: So 3 = {φ, {φ}, {φ, {φ}}, {φ, {φ}, {φ, {φ}}}}.In summary, the conversation discusses the different formulations of Russell's paradox and the confusion surrounding the definition of numbers as sets. The first definition given is not a proper definition as the thing being defined cannot be on both sides of the equation. The concept of the empty set, represented by φ or Ø, is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the number 3 and its representation as a set.
Unit
Is this set a variation of Russell's paradox?

[tex]M = \{x : x \notin M \}[/tex]

I understand this formulation a lot more than

[tex]R = \{S : S \notin S\}[/tex]

because I don't understand how, for example, 1 is a member of itself. Is 1 a set? Are all numbers sets?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Unit! :smile:

Your first definition is not a definition …

you can't have the thing you're defining on both sides of the equation.

(and 1 is not in 1 … 1 is the set {φ,{φ}}, so the only elements in 1 are φ and {φ})

Hi tiny-tim! Thanks for your reply!

If it is not a definition, then what is it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here; I actually don't know. Would it qualify as a recursive definition?

Also, is φ the empty set? I have only seen it written as Ø.

I have never heard of defining 1 as {φ, {φ}}! I'm assuming 0 = φ, so 1 is {φ} U {{φ}} = {φ, {φ}}. This is the empty set and the set containing the empty set. Now, there are 2 elements in total ... so would 2 = {φ, {φ}, {φ, {φ}}}?

Hi Unit! :smile:
Unit said:
If it is not a definition, then what is it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here; I actually don't know. Would it qualify as a recursive definition?

I suppose you could call it an implicit definition, but the Russell paradox really presupposes that everything is constructed explicitly.
Also, is φ the empty set? I have only seen it written as Ø.

I have never heard of defining 1 as {φ, {φ}}! I'm assuming 0 = φ, so 1 is {φ} U {{φ}} = {φ, {φ}}. This is the empty set and the set containing the empty set. Now, there are 2 elements in total ... so would 2 = {φ, {φ}, {φ, {φ}}}?

ah, I only had a φ to hand (and not a Ø), so I used that. :wink:

yes, 2 would be {φ, {φ}, {φ, {φ}}} … that's the standard Peano construction for numbers (except I might be one out … maybe that's 3, and maybe 1 is just {φ}? :redface:)

You are off by one. n should have n elements in it. So 0 is the empty set, 1 is the set containing the empty set, etc.

1. What is the definition of "Set M of all elements not in M"?

The set M of all elements not in M, also known as the complement of M, is a set that contains all the elements that are not present in the original set M. In other words, it includes all the elements that are not members of the set M.

2. How is "Set M of all elements not in M" denoted?

The complement of a set M is denoted as Mc or M'.

3. What is the cardinality of "Set M of all elements not in M"?

The cardinality of the complement of a set M is equal to the cardinality of the universal set minus the cardinality of set M. In other words, if the universal set has n elements and set M has m elements, then the cardinality of Mc is n-m.

4. How is "Set M of all elements not in M" related to set operations?

The complement of a set M can be obtained by using the set difference operation on the universal set and set M. It is also related to the intersection and union operations through De Morgan's laws.

5. Can the complement of a set be empty?

Yes, the complement of a set can be empty if the set M is equal to the universal set. In this case, there are no elements that are not included in M, so the complement is empty.