1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Notation

  1. Mar 31, 2007 #1


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Hi. Im just wondering, is there any notation i can use to refer to elements ONLY in a certain set. Usually, given sets A, B and C, i could refer to elements of only set A as [tex]A \cap \overline B \cap \overline C[/tex], but is there some notation that specifically refers to elements ONLY in a certains set?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2007 #2
    I can't think of anything offhand. The question, as posed, is silly. Care to put it in context?
  4. Apr 1, 2007 #3
    [tex]\in A[/tex] .............??
  5. Apr 1, 2007 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Set difference is the usual notation: A\B is the set of elements of A that are not in B. A\(BUC) is the set of elements of A that are not in B or C.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Set Notation
  1. Sets and notation (Replies: 2)

  2. Help with notation (Replies: 8)