1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of all values of sqrt(i)

1. Feb 15, 2013 #1
    Why is it that set of all values of ##log(√i)## is ##(\frac{1}{4} + n)\pi i## and not ##(\frac{1}{4} + 2n)\pi i## since ##√i = e^\frac{ \pi i}{4}##

and ##log(z) = ln|z|+ i(Arg(z) + 2 n \pi)##

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2
    Looking at it, I get:
    [tex]
    \log \left[\sqrt{i}\right] = \log\left\{\exp\left[\frac{i}{2}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}+2\pi n\right)\right]\right\} = \frac{i}{2}\left(\frac{\pi}{2} + 2\pi n\right)\log e = i\left(\frac{\pi}{4} + \pi n\right)
    [/tex]
    where [itex] n[/itex] is an integer. It looks like you might have used a period of [itex]\pi[/itex] rather than [itex]2\pi[/itex].

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If we exponentiate ##(\frac{1}{4} + n)\pi i## and then square it, we get
    $$\left(\exp\left(\left(\frac{1}{4} + n\right)\pi i\right)\right)^2 =
    \left(\exp\left(\frac{i\pi}{4}\right)\exp\left(in \pi \right)\right)^2 =
    \exp\left(\frac{i\pi}{2}\right)\exp\left(i2n \pi\right) = i$$
    so every number of the form ##(\frac{1}{4} + n)\pi i## is a solution. Your proposed answer misses all of the solutions for which ##n## is odd.

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

True, but if √ is taken to denote the principal square root (which would be standard, yes?) then only the 2n solutions arise.

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, if the principal square root is intended. The "set of all values of sqrt(i)" in the subject led me to presume otherwise, but that may not have been warranted. Bachelier, what do you intend √ to mean in this context?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook