Set of Commuting Observables for pures states 2p-1,2px and 2s

In summary, to prepare a hydrogen atom in the pure states ψ2p-1 and ψ2px, you can use optical pumping with carefully chosen light frequency and polarization. For the ψ2s state, you can use the Hamiltonian or a laser to excite the atom to this state.
DielsAlder
Hi,

Here I have a question, apparently easy, but that I think it is a bit tricky.

Homework Statement

Indicate how can a hydrogen atom be prepared in the pure
states corresponding to the state vectors ψ2p-1 and ψ2px and
ψ2s. It is assumed that spin-related observables are not
relevant.

Hint: The state ψ2px becomes the state ψ2pz = ψ2p0 by a rotation
of 90º of the cartesian axis system

Homework Equations

Just remind the Hamiltonian H, L2 and Lz operators and their commutation relation.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the ψ2p-1 pure state, it is clear that H, L2 and Lz form a CSCO.

For the ψ2px pure state, H and L2 are commuting observables, but not Lz because px=1/21/2(p+1-p-1) and it is not an eigenfunction of Lz. Could yoy give me any additional hint in order to solve it?

For the ψ2s, L2 is equal to zero, so no angular momentum can be measured. Which observable can I use apart form hamiltonian?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To prepare a hydrogen atom in the pure states ψ2p-1 and ψ2px, you can use the technique of optical pumping. This involves shining a circularly polarized light on the atom, which will cause the atom to absorb photons with a specific spin and angular momentum. By carefully choosing the frequency and polarization of the light, you can prepare the atom in the desired state.

For the ψ2s state, since L2 is equal to zero, you can use the Hamiltonian to prepare the atom in this state. You can apply a potential that corresponds to the ψ2s state, which will cause the atom to be in this pure state. Alternatively, you can also use a laser with a specific frequency and polarization to excite the atom to the ψ2s state.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a commuting observable?

A commuting observable refers to a set of physical quantities or properties that can be measured simultaneously and whose corresponding operators commute with each other. This means that the order in which the measurements are performed does not affect the final result.

2. What are pure states 2p-1, 2px, and 2s?

Pure states 2p-1, 2px, and 2s refer to specific energy levels or wavefunctions of the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics. They represent the different possible states that an electron can occupy in the atom, characterized by different values of its principal quantum number, angular momentum quantum number, and magnetic quantum number.

3. Why is it important to have a set of commuting observables for these pure states?

Having a set of commuting observables for these pure states allows us to make simultaneous measurements of different physical properties and obtain precise and accurate results. It also helps us understand the relationships between these states and how they behave under different experimental conditions.

4. How are these commuting observables determined?

The commuting observables for pure states 2p-1, 2px, and 2s are determined by identifying the operators that correspond to each physical property, such as energy, position, momentum, and angular momentum. These operators are then tested for their commutativity, and those that commute with each other form the set of commuting observables for these states.

5. What are the implications of having a set of commuting observables for pure states?

Having a set of commuting observables for pure states has significant implications in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to better understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and technology, as it enables precise and simultaneous measurements of various physical properties.