Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of discontinuous points.

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    i have a function f:R->R where f is monotone increasing, i need to show that the set of discontinuous points of f is at most countable.
    so i need to find an injective or 1-1 mapping from this set to the naturals, or to the rationals.
    i thought perhaps defining the next function g:A->Q, where A is the set of discontinuous points of f, by:
    let x0 be in A, so lim(x>x0)f(x)>lim(x<x0)f(x)
    g(x0)=x0 if x0 is in Q
    but how do i define for points which arent in Q?

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, the correct phrase is "points of discontinuity of f", not "discontinuous points". Points are not "continuous" or "discontinuous", only functions are!

Have you already shown that a discontinuity of an increasing function must be a "jump" discontinuity- that is, that the left and right limits exist but are different? You need that to be able to talk about "lim(x>x0)f(x)>lim(x<x0)f(x)". But I don't see how your idea is going to work. Your g(x) doesn't actually use "lim(x>x0)f(x)>lim(x<x0)f(x)" It just says g(x)= x if f is discontinuous at x- and assumes f is discontinous at x! You mistake is looking at the domain instead of the range.

Try this. Let [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow x_0^-} f(x)= a[/itex], [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow x_0^+} f(x)= b[/itex]. Since f has only "jump" discontinuities, those exist and a< b. There exist at least one rational number in the interval (a,b). Let g(x0) be such a rational number. Because f is an increasing function, if x0, x1 are points of discontinuities of f, x1> x0, then the "a" corresponding to x1 is greater than the "b" corresponding to x0: the two intervals do not overlap and so [itex]g(x_0)< g(x_1)[/itex]. g is a one-to-one function from A to a subset of Q.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3
    how have you defined the function g, i mean i dont see any explicit definition of the function, and how do you deal with points of discontinuity which are irrational, obviously they arent mapped into Q.

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All I can do is repeat what I said- If xi is a point of discontinuity of the increasing function f. Then [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow x_i^-} f(x)= a_i[/itex], [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow x_i^+} f(x)= b_i[/itex] exist and ai< bi.
    Choose a rational number yi in the interval (a,b). Such a rational number certainly exists, just choose one. Define g(xi)= yi. Since, if xj> xi, as I said before, since f is increasing, bi< aj so the intervals do not overlap and [itex]y_j\ne y_i[/itex]. g is a one-to-one function from the set of points of discontinuity of f into Q. Whether xi is rational or not is irrelevant. The corresponding g(xi) is yi which is, by definition, rational.

6. Dec 7, 2006 #5
    shouldn't it be:
    b_i>a_j?

7. Dec 7, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No! That's the whole point. If [itex]a_j< b_i< b_j[/itex] then the two intervals overlap so it's possble that [itex]y_i= y_j[/itex] and the function may not be one-to-one.

Because f is increasing, if [itex]x_i< x_j[/itex], then the limit at xi from above must be less than the limit at xj from below: [itex]b_i< a_j[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?