1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of Ordered pairs question

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (!) Determine the set of ordered pairs (x,y) of nonzero real numbers such that x/y + y/x >= 2.

2. Relevant equations

x/y + y/x >= 2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Relatively new to set notation and proving so, I merely am seeking reassurances that what I am doing is correct.

x/y + y/x >= 2
    *Made everything a common denominator*
    x^2/xy + y^2/xy >=2xy/xy

(x^2+y^2-2xy)/(xy) >= 0
    (x-y)^2/(xy)>=0
    (x-y)^2 >= 0
    x-y >= 0
    x >= y

Set would be written therefore as:
    [tex]\left\{\left(x,y\right) \in\Re: x \geq y\right\}[/tex]

But x and y cannot equal zero (not sure how to depict that in set notation).

Sincerely,

NastyAccident

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The inequality above is true for all real x and y.

4. Aug 26, 2010 #3
    I think the answer is actually all positive real numbers. X need not be greater than Y. To see this set t = x/y then the equation becomes
    [tex] t+ \frac{1}{t}\geq2[/tex]
    [tex] t^{2} -2t+1\geq0[/tex]
    [tex] (t-1)^{2}\geq0[/tex]
    Drawing the parabola you can see that x and y simply have to be positive and non zero and that is sufficient. We have to disregard negative t's for obvious reasons.

To show you an example consider x=0. 5 and y=1. This satisfies the inequality but x is less than y.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  5. Aug 26, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Starting from x/y + y/x >= 2, when you multiply both sides by xy, you need two cases: one for which xy > 0, and another for which xy < 0. You get two different inequalities in these two cases.

6. Aug 26, 2010 #5
    I just realized that x and y can be negative but they have to negative together so that t is not negative. So the actual answer is all real numbers such that x/y is positive.

7. Aug 27, 2010 #6
    So, cases:

1.) xy <= 0

2.) xy >= 0

x/y + y/x >= 2
    x^2/xy + y^2/xy >=2xy/xy
    (x^2+y^2-2xy)/(xy) >= 0
    (x-y)^2/(xy)>=0
    (x-y)^2 >= 0

The first case contains all real numbers in the first and third quadrants so results like (1,1), (-3,-1), et cetera work. The second case contains all real numbers in the second and fourth quadrants so results like (-2,1) and (3,-4) work.

However, wouldn't you have to evaluate the original inequality and determine that (0,0) would not work due to both x and y being found on the denominator?

If this is not the case would the resulting set simply be the union between the two case? Or my original guess: [tex]
    \left\{\left(x,y\right) \in\Re: x \geq y\right\}
    [/tex]

Sincerely,

NastyAccident

8. Aug 27, 2010 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have multiplied the first inequality with xy to get the new one in the second line. It is true if xy>0, but fails when xy<0. Multiplying an inequality with a negative number will reverse it. So it is (x-y)^2 <= 0 if one of x and y is negative, the other positive.
    (x-y)^2 is always positive so this second inequality cannot be true.

The second case does not work. Yes, you should check in the original inequality x/y + y/x >= 2 if it is true for (-2,1) and (3,-4) ?

ehild

9. Aug 27, 2010 #8
    Okay, so I think I follow but I want to make sure that my train of thought is correct.
    We have one case:
    (x-y)^2/(xy)>=0
    with two subcases:
    xy<0
    xy>0

There is no >= in the sub cases since zero no matter what cannot be in the denominator.

When you introduce a negative x or negative y, the first sub case fails since that turns (x-y)^2/(xy) from being greater than or equal to zero to being less than or equal to zero causing the inequality to no longer be true.

In the second subcase, xy>0 holds true when both x & y are positive and when both x&y are negative since a negative times a negative is a positive.

Hence, the set contains values of x & y when they are both positive and the set contains values of x & y when they are both negative.

So, if that is the correct conclusion then the proper set notation when therefore be:
    [tex]\left\{(x,y) \in\Re: -\infty < x < 0 and -\infty < y < 0 or 0 < x < \infty and 0 < y < \infty \right\}[/tex]

Sincerely,

NastyAccident

10. Aug 27, 2010 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct now.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook