1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of real numbers

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1
    If the set of natural numbers is [itex] \aleph [/itex]
    and when we write a real number we have 10 choices for each position 0-9
    so can we say that there are [itex] 10^{\aleph} [/itex] real numbers ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi cragar! :smile:

You probably mean [itex]\aleph_0[/itex], right?

Yes, that is correct, the real numbers have cardinality [itex]10^{\aleph_0}[/itex]. Also note that

[tex]2^{\aleph_0}=10^{\aleph_0}=\aleph_0^{\aleph_0}[/tex]

But, I also must give you a warning. Saying that you have "10 choices for each position 0-9" is not exactly true, there are technical details. For example 1.00000000... and 0.9999999... are the same numbers, so some choice yield the same number. Also, choice like ...9999999.999999.... are not allowed: we must only have a finite number of 1-9 in front of the dot.

These technical matters can be fixed however.

4. Jul 22, 2011 #3
    how is this true [tex]2^{\aleph_0}=10^{\aleph_0}=\aleph_0^{\aleph_0}[/tex]

5. Jul 22, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, to give an intuitive explanation. You showed that the real numbers have cardinality [itex]10^{\aleph_0}[/itex], but you used decimal representation here. We can also use binary representation. In that way, you have numbers of the form 111.0101101 for example. So you have to choose 0 or 1 a countable number of times. So by the same reasoning, the real numbers have cardinality [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex].
    When using hexadecimal, you'll obtain [itex]16^{\aleph_0}[/itex] as cardinality of the reals. So

[tex]2^{\aleph_0}=3^{\aleph_0}=...=10^{\aleph_0}=...[/tex]

6. Jul 22, 2011 #5
    I seen the proof where the set has 2^n subsets . like for example if i have a sub set {3,2} this would mean I would put a one in the 3rd position and a 2 in the second position and zeros in the rest. but i thought this was a proof where we couldn't repeat numbers. We didn't start with a multiset. So are you saying the reals are all of the subsets of the naturals.

7. Jul 22, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, the reals aren't the set of all subsets of the naturals, but they certainly have as much elements!!

8. Jul 22, 2011 #7
    when you use binary for your list count, what do you mean by your 0 or 1 .

9. Jul 22, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just use the binary system: for example 10=2, 11=3, 100=4, 0.1=1/2, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook