1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set operation problem

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1
    Suppose there are 3 sets: A, B, and C s.t. (U for 'union')

(A - B) U (A - C) U (B - C)

Now, I was wondering if there is the precedence of parentheses over set operations (union in this case).
    This is saying "every element in A but not in B" or "every element in A but not in C" or "every element in B but not in C".
    I know that nothing in C is contained in this union and that everything in A is minus those that are in both A and B and both A and C. Now, the last difference, B - C, annoys me. Would B - C override A - B and include every element in B but not in C (and not those in both A and B)?

Would this be a case of symmetric difference? For example
    (A - B) U (B - A)

would this include everything but the intersection (if A and B are not disjoint or empty and A does not equal B)

(sidenote: Has there been a problem with Latex, it wouldn't show this tag:

[tex]\left(A\setminus B\right)\cup \left(A\setminus C\right)\cup \left(B\setminus C\right)[/tex (last bracket intentionally left out so it would show text))

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"I know that nothing in C is contained in this union and that everything in A is minus those that are in both A and B and both A and C. Now, the last difference, B - C, annoys me. Would B - C override A - B and include every element in B but not in C (and not those in both A and B)?"
    This is plain wrong!
    A-B may well have elements also in C. These elements are present in the union
    There is no "overriding" present; each member of the union provides its own elements to the union; those elements are not removed from the union even if these elements are lacking from other members of the union.

4. Sep 16, 2004 #3
    The definition of A - B (difference) states {(for all x)| x is an element of A and x is not an element of B).
    Therefore (A - B) does not contain elements that are in C unless they are in both A and C. But then the second difference, (A - C), removes those elements that are both in A and C. So, thus far (A - B) U (A - C) contains elements exclusive to A.

5. Sep 16, 2004 #4
    I think you (Yoss) may have the wrong idea of "union". If (A-B) has elements of C, then those elements have become part of the union, regardless of what's in the set (A-C). The parentheses take precedence over the union.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  6. Sep 17, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yoss: Please read Betty-boop's reply, and the following excerpt from my own:
    "A-B may well have elements also in C. These elements are present in the union
    There is no "overriding" present; each member of the union provides its own elements to the union; those elements are not removed from the union even if these elements are lacking from other members of the union."
    You have a faulty understanding of the union concept.

7. Sep 17, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you tried any examples?
    Let A= {every member of the alphabet except a}, B= {every member of the alphabet ecxept b}, C= {every member of alphabet except c}.

Then A-B= {b}, A-C= {c}, B- C= {c}

(A-B)U(A-C)U(B-C)= {b, c}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?