Understanding Set Theory: Equivalence Relations and Partitions Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of equivalence relation, partition, and equivalence classes in relation to set theory. The first question asks for an explanation of how an equivalence relation leads to a partition of a set, while the second question explores how a function can determine an equivalence relation that results in a partition of the set. The conversation also touches on the use of symbols and terminology in discussing these concepts.
ElDavidas
Does anybody in here know their Set Theory really well? I could do with some help on a few questions!

Q1) Show how an equilance relation on a set X leads to a partition of X?

Q2) Let A and B be sets and [tex] f: A \rightarrow B [/tex]be a function. For each b [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ran f. Show that the collection of all subsets Ab of A is a partition of A and show how this partition can arise as a collection of equivalence classes under an equilavence relation on A determined by f.

I keep on reading my notes, but I don't quite understand how the terms equivalence relation, partition and equivalence classes all coincide with one another.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1) Show how an equilance relation on a set X leads to a partition of X?
Well, start simple: what is an equivalence relation on X? What is a partition on X?

For each b [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ran f.
This was confusing at first -- it didn't help that my browser decided to put a line break between "ran" and "f". The first tip is when putting symbols in paragraphs, use [ itex ] instead of [ tex ]. Secondly, using the symbol [itex]\in[/itex] (which is preferable to [itex]\epsilon[/itex]) here is no better than simply saying the word "in" -- IMHO using the word would have been more readable.

Show that the collection of all subsets Ab of A is a partition of A
You've not defined the term "Ab" anywhere in your post... (Yes, I know you meant something like [itex]A_b[/itex], but you've not said what that means)

What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a formalized language and framework for defining and understanding mathematical concepts.

What are equivalence relations?

An equivalence relation is a relation between two elements in a set that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. This means that the relation is reflexive (any element is related to itself), symmetric (if one element is related to another, then the other element is related to the first), and transitive (if one element is related to another and the second element is related to a third, then the first element is related to the third).

What is a partition in set theory?

A partition is a collection of subsets of a set that satisfies two properties: every element in the original set belongs to one and only one subset in the partition, and the subsets in the partition are non-empty and disjoint. In other words, a partition divides a set into non-overlapping subsets that cover the entire set.

Why are equivalence relations and partitions important in set theory?

Equivalence relations and partitions provide a way to classify and organize elements in a set. They are useful in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, topology, and logic. They also have applications in computer science and other fields.

How do I determine if a relation is an equivalence relation and if a set is a partition?

To determine if a relation is an equivalence relation, you need to check if it satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. To determine if a set is a partition, you need to check if the subsets in the partition cover the entire set and are non-overlapping. Additionally, you can use properties such as the cardinality of the subsets and the elements they contain to verify if a set is a partition.