Set theory/continuity question

• Thread starter henryN7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: Thank you for your help.In summary, the note on page 89 of baby Rudin explains the relationship between f(f^{-1}(E)) and E for a continuous mapping f of a compact metric space X into a metric space Y. While f(f^{-1}(E)) is always a subset of E, the equality may not hold in both cases, depending on whether f is invertible or not. This is due to the definitions of f(A) and f^{-1}(B) and how they relate to the sets A and B.
henryN7
From page 89 of baby Rudin:

"Theorem Suppose f is a continuous mapping of a compact metric space X into a metric space Y. Then f(x) is compact.

(truncated)

Note: We have used the relation f(f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](E))[tex]\subset[/tex]E, valid for E [tex]\subset[/tex] Y. If E[tex]\subset[/tex]X, then f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](f(E))[tex]\supset[/tex]E; equality need not hold in either case."

Why is this note true? I'm have never taken set theory, so someone please explain to me why they are not equal, but have this relationship as described. I guess it has something to do with onto and the definition of a function? iono.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to understand that the notation "[itex]f^{-1}(A)[/itex]" where A is a set does NOT imply that f is invertible! (I once presented a proof on something similar to this assuming that f was invertible- very embarassing!) If f is invertible (one-to-one and onto) then [itex]f^{-1}(f(A))= A[/itex] and [itex]f(f^{-1}(B))= B[/itex] but not if f is not invertible.

For set A, f(A) is the set of all y values that we can get by applying f to all members of A: [itex]f(A)= \{y | y= f(x)\}[/itex].

[itex]f^{-1}(B)[/itex] is the set of all x values such that f(x) in in B. [itex]f^{-1}(B)= \{x| f(x)\in B\}[/itex]

Look at an example: [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] where X and Y are both R.

Let A be the closed interval from -1 to 2: [-1, 2].

Then f(A)= [0, 4], the set of all y-values for x from -1 to 2. But applying f to any number between -2 and 2 will also give y-values in [0, 4].
[itex]f^{-1}(f(A))= f^{-1}([0, 4])= [-2, 2][/itex] and [itex][-1, 2]\subset [-2, 2][/itex].

Let B be the closed interval from -1 to 4: [-1, 4].

Then [itex]f^{-1}(B)= [-2, 2][/itex], the same as [itex]f^{-1}([0, 4])[/itex] because NO values of x given negative y.

And [itex]f(f^{-1}(B)= f([-2, 2])= [0, 4]\subset [-1, 4][/itex]

Awesome explanation, thank you. I knew it was something about bijections, but I couldn't think of any example for the second inequality for some reason.

1. What is set theory and why is it important in mathematics?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is important because it provides a foundation for other mathematical concepts and allows for the formalization of mathematical arguments and proofs.

2. What is the difference between a set and an element?

A set is a collection of objects, while an element is one of the objects within the set. For example, a set of fruits may contain elements such as apples, oranges, and bananas.

3. What is the Continuum Hypothesis and why is it important in set theory?

The Continuum Hypothesis is a statement about the size of infinite sets, specifically the set of real numbers. It states that there is no set whose cardinality (size) is strictly between the cardinality of the integers and the cardinality of the real numbers. It is important in set theory because it has implications for other areas of mathematics, and its status as either true or false has been a topic of much debate.

4. What is a countable set and how is it related to the concept of infinity?

A countable set is a set that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This means that the elements of the set can be counted in a finite amount of time. It is related to the concept of infinity because it is a way of categorizing infinite sets based on their size.

5. How does the concept of continuity relate to set theory?

The concept of continuity in mathematics is closely related to the concept of sets. In set theory, a set is considered continuous if there are no "gaps" or "jumps" between its elements. This concept is important in areas such as calculus and analysis, where the continuity of functions is crucial.