Explore Set Theory and Logic with Stoll: A Beginner's Guide"

In summary, the speaker is seeking recommendations for an introductory book on Set Theory and Logic as they are currently struggling with their current book. Several suggestions are made, including Vellerman's "How to Prove It" and books by Suppes and Schaum's Outline. A longer list of books is also provided, including "A Mathematical Introduction to Logic" by Enderton and "Naive Set Theory" by Halmos. The speaker expresses gratitude for the suggestions.
Fisicks
Hi,
Right now I am currently going through Set Theory and Logic by Stoll. This is my first time going through Set Theory, Logic, and everything else in the book. I feel like I'm not getting all I can out of this book because I don't feel like I'm on the same level, I struggle to answer the exercises. Can anyone recommend a perhaps more introductory book for me that includes much of the same topics as the one I'm reading?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if it includes the same topics, but there is Vellerman's How to Prove It. if you're trying to learn how to do proofs. There's also the books by Suppes. There's always Schaum's Outline.

Ok, here's a longer list

A Mathematical Introduction to Logic Enderton
Elements of Set Theory Enderton
Introduction to Mathematical Logic Mendelson
Naive Set Theory Halmos
Introduction to Mathematical Logic Gensler
Mathematical Logic Ebbinghaus
Logic for Mathematicians Hamilton

thank you sir

1. What is Set Theory and Logic?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. Logic is a systematic way of reasoning and making deductions. Together, Set Theory and Logic form the foundation of mathematics and are used to prove theorems and solve problems.

2. Who is the author of "Explore Set Theory and Logic with Stoll: A Beginner's Guide"?

The author of this book is James Munkres, a renowned mathematician and professor at MIT.

3. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is specifically designed for beginners with no prior knowledge of Set Theory and Logic. It provides a clear and concise introduction to the subject, making it easy to understand for readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

4. What topics are covered in this book?

This book covers the basics of Set Theory and Logic, including topics such as set operations, relations, functions, propositional and predicate logic, and proofs. It also includes exercises and practice problems to help readers solidify their understanding of the concepts.

5. Are there any additional resources included with this book?

Yes, the book comes with a companion website that includes interactive quizzes, additional practice problems, and solutions to selected exercises. It also includes a list of recommended readings for further exploration of the subject.