1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory Problem

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    THIS PROBLEM IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let M be a metric space in which the closure of every open set is open. Prove that M is discrete.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm, so one wishes to show that each one point set is both open and closed. I wonder, what can one do to make a one point set in a metric space?

4. Sep 10, 2007 #3
    Take the complement of (the metric space minus that point)? I really do not know where you are going

5. Sep 10, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let S={x} for x a point in the metric space. S is closed. Prove it. The complement S^C is open. Prove it. Your assumptions says S^C is also closed. What does this tell you about d(x,y) for y in S^C? Or even simpler, if S^C is closed, what is (S^C)^C? See? I've left all the hard work to you.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. Sep 10, 2007 #5
    The assumption is that the closure of any open set is open. How did you use the assumption to get that S^C is closed (or anywhere else)?

In order for S^C to be closed S needs to be open. Yes there are other ways to prove something is closed but I do not see how you used any method to show that S^C is closed. Obviously it is open because S is closed. Sorry if you wanted me to prove that S^C is closed I just do not see it :(

7. Sep 10, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right. I was oversimplifying the problem. Sorry. Let me rethink this. Matt's clue is probably the one to think about.

8. Sep 10, 2007 #7
    You want to show that each singelton set is clopen in the metric space. First of all write out the definition of a discrete metric space. This should lead you to the answer. So show that the metric space doesn't contain any accumulation points.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  9. Sep 10, 2007 #8
    That is an interesting term for open and closed if that is what you mean by clopen.

Anyway, a metric space X is discrete iff every subset of X is open.

If x is a limit point of X then, every neighborhood of x must contain a point in X - {x}. I am not sure how that is inconsistent with the assumption that the closure of every open set is open (or clopen as you would say!).

10. Sep 11, 2007 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll say it again. A one point set. Is it open?

11. Sep 11, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To simplify even further: {x} is a one point set. What is its closure?

12. Sep 11, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you simplified too much (I did too). Regarding closures, it only says that the closure of OPEN sets is open. If I knew {x} were open so I could apply this, I wouldn't need to apply it.

13. Sep 11, 2007 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, try this. Follow tronter's suggestion. Assume x is an accumulation point in the space X. Cleverly select a sequence of points S approaching x and a set of radii r_s for each s in S such that i) x is an accumulation point of the union of all of the open balls B(s,r_s) for s in S (call it U) and ii) x is also an accumulation point of X-closure(U). Then x is in closure(U), U is open, but every neighborhood of x contains points not in closure(U). So closure(U) is not open. Contradiction. So X has no accumulation points.

To start the construction of S etc, imagine that x is a limit point of the union of a sequence of disjoint balls monotonically approaching x. Show you can make such a thing. Choose even numbered balls only to make S.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?