Researching Set Theory as an Undergrad

In summary, the speaker is an undergrad student interested in pursuing research in set theory. However, their liberal arts school does not offer many courses on the subject and their professors are not familiar with set theory research. They plan to read Jech's "Set Theory" over the summer to prepare, but are also advised to read Hrbacek and Jech's book as a first encounter in set theory. The speaker is also recommended to study classical logic and model theory for advanced set theory.
mathkid
I'm currently an undergrad in math who's going to graduate next year. I'm interested in doing research in set theory (not now of course, perhaps in grad school). Unfortunately, I'm at a liberal arts school and there are no set theorists in the math department. All they offer is a naiive set theory course, in fact I'm taking a philosophy course on non classical logic, which is more interesting than what the math department has to offer. I've asked my advisor and other professors at my university and they have no idea about what set theory research entails. So my question is, what do I have to do in order to be able to do research in set theory? I've heard that Jech's text "Set Theory" is a good text for set theory, so I'll probably read that over the summer. How do I prepare for doing research, and what are open problems and theory building to be done. I.e. I don't want to try to do stuff that has already been solved. Given that no one in my math department can answer these questions, it seems like I'll have to try to do the research by myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Jech is probably the best text for set theory. But it is also a quite mature text. I would not recommend Jech for a first encounter in set theory. There is also the Hrbacek & Jech book, which is probably better suited for a first encounter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0824779150/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You might also want to consider reading up on classical logic, more particularly: model theory. That will show up quite a lot in advanced set theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice mathwonk! I don't think I've seen model logic, except in the proof of the nullstellensatz, but I'll look that up for sure. I'll probably read, Hrbacek and Jech's text, and then work my way up to Jech's monster text.

1. What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is a fundamental part of modern mathematics and has many applications in various fields.

2. Why is it important to research Set Theory as an undergraduate?

Researching Set Theory as an undergraduate can help you develop critical thinking skills, improve your problem-solving abilities, and deepen your understanding of mathematical concepts. It can also prepare you for graduate studies in mathematics and other related fields.

3. What are the key concepts in Set Theory?

Some key concepts in Set Theory include sets, elements, subsets, operations on sets (such as union, intersection, and complement), and relations between sets (such as equality and inclusion).

4. What are some common research areas in Set Theory?

Some common research areas in Set Theory include the foundations of mathematics, infinite and finite sets, cardinal and ordinal numbers, and the axiom of choice. Other related topics include topology, logic, and category theory.

5. How can I get started with researching Set Theory as an undergraduate?

First, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts and proof techniques. You can also start by reading introductory texts on Set Theory and attending seminars or workshops related to the subject. Collaborating with a faculty member or joining a research group can also provide valuable guidance and support.