Set Theory: Proving A-(BUC)=(A\cup B)-C

Distributive_lawsIn summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that the given formula is equal to A. The suggestion is to rewrite the subtractions as A minus the intersection of A and B, which will simplify the formula. De Morgan's laws are not applicable, but rather distributivity and associativity. The conversation ends with a recommendation to simplify the right-hand side of the formula.
Carmen12

Homework Statement

[A-(BUC)]U[(A[tex]\cup[/tex] B)-C]U[(A[tex]\cap[/tex] C)-B]U[A[tex]\cap[/tex]B[tex]\cap[/tex]C];

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry about the crappy formatting (btw).
Anyway, I'm trying to "prove" that this is is equal to A. So basically cancelling out the Bs and Cs? I'm not sure how to go about this. de morgan's laws? *sigh* I tested it with Venn Diagrams and it is equal to A.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start be re-writing the subtractions a little more explicitly, as an example
[tex] A - B = A - A \cap B [/tex]

this should lead to a few siplifications, and you should be able to apply de morgan's law more easily

Thank you so much! Some research on de morgan is in need!

I wish there was a calculator for this stuff. *sigh*

For the proof will just showing the calculations work? Or is there a particular way of writing it out I need?

just try and simplify the RHS as much as you can

and its not De Morgan's law you need, which deals with complements, its just distrbutivity & associtivity see the following

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra_of_sets

1. What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a formal framework for understanding and manipulating these collections, and serves as a foundation for many other areas of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and geometry.

2. What is the concept of proving in Set Theory?

In Set Theory, proving refers to the process of logically demonstrating the equality or inequality between two sets. This involves using established axioms, definitions, and logical reasoning to show that one set is a subset of or equal to the other set.

3. What does the notation A-(BUC) mean?

The notation A-(BUC) represents the set of elements that are in set A, but not in either set B or set C. In other words, it is the set difference between set A and the union of sets B and C.

4. How is the equation A-(BUC)=(A\cup B)-C proved?

The equation A-(BUC)=(A\cup B)-C can be proved using the properties of set operations, such as the distributive law and the associative law. By carefully manipulating the sets and applying these properties, it can be shown that both sides of the equation contain the same elements, thus proving their equality.

5. What is the significance of proving A-(BUC)=(A\cup B)-C in Set Theory?

Proving A-(BUC)=(A\cup B)-C is significant because it demonstrates the logical consistency of the set operations and establishes an important relationship between set difference and union. It also allows for the simplification of complex set expressions and aids in the understanding of more advanced concepts in Set Theory.