Set Theory vs. EM2: Deciding My Courses

In summary: Well I guess that depends. Do you want to take the hardest physics major course with the other hardest physics major course, quantum? Might not want to risk that senior year. I know people who have taken very heavy course loads in math and physics and none of them recommended E&M and QM at the same time.I am currently taking Set Theory. Since you are a physics major, I recommend E&M over Set Theory. I think Set Theory is interesting, but to be honest, its applications are primarily as the foundation for more mathematics, such as topology. It is important to understand some of the subtleties of set theory, but the entire point of the class I am taking is to become familiar with posets, de
jsr9119
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide my courses for next semester and I'm all set except for a choice between EM2 and set theory. I've had both teachers before, and the set theory teacher is a lot better. I need EM2 for my major, but I'm afraid I'll be wasting the opportunity to take a fun class since they are offered at the same time. As a physics major do you think I can get away with not taking EM2 until my senior year (it is not a prereq for any other courses), or would I just be better off taking it now?

Physics news on Phys.org
jsr9119 said:
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide my courses for next semester and I'm all set except for a choice between EM2 and set theory. I've had both teachers before, and the set theory teacher is a lot better. I need EM2 for my major, but I'm afraid I'll be wasting the opportunity to take a fun class since they are offered at the same time. As a physics major do you think I can get away with not taking EM2 until my senior year (it is not a prereq for any other courses), or would I just be better off taking it now?

Well I guess that depends. Do you want to take the hardest physics major course with the other hardest physics major course, quantum? Might not want to risk that senior year. I know people who have taken very heavy course loads in math and physics and none of them recommended E&M and QM at the same time.

I am currently taking Set Theory. Since you are a physics major, I recommend E&M over Set Theory. I think Set Theory is interesting, but to be honest, its applications are primarily as the foundation for more mathematics, such as topology. It is important to understand some of the subtleties of set theory, but the entire point of the class I am taking is to become familiar with posets, deMorgan's Laws, lattices, cardinal numbers, ordinal numbers, the axiom of choice and why it is equivalent to Zorn's lemma and the well-ordering principle. You have been using the axiom of choice for your entire life, and you are probably ok with it. You also are probably familiar with the idea of cardinal numbers and set cardinality. You have likely never heard of ordinals, and will probably never use them in physics unless you are doing some bizarre theoretical work. Basically, to get a good enough background in set theory for physics applications, I'd recommend simply reading about set cardinality and deMorgan's Laws.

1. What is Set Theory and how does it differ from EM2?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of sets, which are collections of objects. EM2, on the other hand, stands for "Engineering Mathematics 2" and is a specific course that covers topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

2. Which course is more relevant for a career in science?

Both Set Theory and EM2 have important applications in science. Set Theory is particularly useful for fields such as computer science, statistics, and theoretical physics, while EM2 is essential for engineering and physical sciences.

3. Can I take both Set Theory and EM2 at the same time?

It depends on your academic program and course load. Some universities may allow you to take both courses simultaneously, while others may have prerequisites or recommendations for the sequence in which these courses should be taken.

4. Do I need a strong background in math to understand Set Theory and EM2?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is beneficial, both Set Theory and EM2 can be approached by students with varying levels of mathematical knowledge. It is important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and calculus concepts before taking these courses.

5. Are there any real-world applications for Set Theory and EM2?

Yes, both Set Theory and EM2 have numerous real-world applications. Set Theory is used in fields such as computer programming, data analysis, and cryptography. EM2 is essential for solving problems in engineering, physics, economics, and many other scientific fields.