Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory vs. Logic

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1
    It makes me wonder what should be studied first - whether the basics of axiomatic set theory or mathematical logic? Although I initially that logic should be studied first, set theory second, now something makes me think that it should be vice-versa. The reason for this shift is that - when studying logic - we use various concepts that are introduced in set theory - numbers (&mathematical induction), sequence (definition of proof*) etc. What do you think?

*formal proof is usually defined as follows: "a formal proof in propositional logic is a finite sequence of statements ..."
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2006 #2
    It's the summer vacation that causes so much confusion in my head :-) I have a lot of time to think and then I end up thinking about these obscure theories that prior to using numbers in metalanguage (used for describing our object language - first-order logic), we have to define them somehow - for example using sets.

But that is, obviously, not possible. So we take a part of mathematics - let's call it e.g. "informal mathematics" - with some basic notions (natural numbers, mathematical induction - both taken as intuitively granted) and with their help define the framework (mathematical logic, axiomatic set theory, etc.) for exact definition of them and other - more complicated - mathematical concepts.

Do you find this reasoning correct?
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  4. Jul 30, 2006 #3
    at least universities think like you, i.e the preliminary for logic in mathematics courses is set theory or discrete mathematics which include only an introduction to set theory.
    i personally think that they are interlinked, every set theory class starts its first day in introducing basic logic connectors {v,&,->,<->,~}, with which you define the operation: union intersection and so forth.

i think the best way, is to learn mathematical logic with set theory, they complement each other, which rarely youll find an expert in set theory who doesnt have some expertise in logic, and vice versa.
  5. Jul 30, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I personally think that one may as well learn the basics of sentential (or propositional) and predicate logic first, since it has the widest range of application. After that, further study tends to specialize, to set theory, mathematical induction, and the derivation of theorems in algebra and topology and all that good stuff in mathematics; to modal logic, deontic logic, inductive logic (which has nothing to do with mathematical induction), and counterfactuals in philosophy (and possibly in linguistics); to Boolean algebra and fuzzy logic in computer science and systems engineering.

Of course, I have no background in education to be able to say this. It stands to reason that, generalizing my opinion, we should study the basics of universal grammar and phonetics before studying any specific second languages, but that obviously is not the way languages are taught, although it is the way they used to be taught when people that thought like me were running the universities. Immersion and natural language acquisition are all the rage today, though.
  6. Jul 31, 2006 #5
  7. Aug 3, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

To be honest, I really have no knowledge of fuzzy sets/logic and no opinion on the matter, but I was under the impression it had some applications to electronic hardware problems; train switching on subways or something.
  8. Aug 3, 2006 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are people who study fuzzy logic as applied to engineering. Look at the AI subset of Engineering Maths at the University of Bristol.
  9. Aug 15, 2007 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?