Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Set theory

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1

ibc

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    just the very beginning of the course, a simple problem, but I don't know how to write it in the "formal" way, so I need help with that.

2. Relevant equations
    Need to prove that
    A\(B\C) = (A\B)Ú(A∩C)
    (forget about the little line in the Ú, just the only thing I found =\ )

3. The attempt at a solution
    I see why this is true, I just have no idea how to write it formally

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

To prove X= Y you prove first "[itex]X\subset Y[/itex]" and then "[itex]Y \subset X[/itex]. To prove [itex]X\subset Y[/itex], you start "if x is in X and then use the what you know of X and Y to show that x must be in Y.

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3

ibc

ok, so I know if x is in A\(B\C), then x is in A and x is not equal to y, when y is all that is in B and not in C.
    so I know it's the same as saying "(A\B)Ú(A∩C)" but how do I say or write it, how do I "officially" prove that [itex]X\subset Y[/itex] in this case?

5. Nov 8, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No point is saying that x is NOT equal to something! That doesn't tell you what IS true of x.
    More to the point, x is in A and either x is NOT in B or x is in both B and C.
    If x is not in B then it is in which of (A\B) or (A∩C)?
    If x is B and in C the it is in which of (A\B) or (A∩C)?

Does that show x is in "(A\B)Ú(A∩C)"?

Now do it the other way.

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5

ibc

oo ok I see
    thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook