Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory?

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    What is the great mathematical utility of set theory?

When you study set theory or when you studied do(did ) you know for what ecxacly you are(were) studying?And what do you know now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, when I studied "set theory" I knew exactly what I was studying. In fact set theory basics (fundamental definitions) are remarkably simple (although like anything, it has some complex ramifications).

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    When I studied set-theory, I tended to reject question `for what exactly am I studying this?' - but in those days I was very theory oriented and interested in foundational questions.

After studying it, I knew a lot more set-theory. I also understood a lot more about logic.
    I also had some idea of how certain constructions in classical mathematics - the construction of the reals, the existence of bases for infinite dimensional vector spaces - depended on some subtle and contestable basic principles.

But mainly, I knew a lot more set-theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook