1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory?

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    What is the great mathematical utility of set theory?

When you study set theory or when you studied do(did ) you know for what ecxacly you are(were) studying?And what do you know now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, when I studied "set theory" I knew exactly what I was studying. In fact set theory basics (fundamental definitions) are remarkably simple (although like anything, it has some complex ramifications).

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    When I studied set-theory, I tended to reject question `for what exactly am I studying this?' - but in those days I was very theory oriented and interested in foundational questions.

After studying it, I knew a lot more set-theory. I also understood a lot more about logic.
    I also had some idea of how certain constructions in classical mathematics - the construction of the reals, the existence of bases for infinite dimensional vector spaces - depended on some subtle and contestable basic principles.

But mainly, I knew a lot more set-theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook