Equivalence Relations in Set Theory: Homework Statement and Solutions

In summary, an equivalence relation on a set A is a relation that satisfies the following conditions: a~a, a~b => b~a, and a~b and b~c => a~c. This can be proven by using a textbook, such as Topics in Algebra, 1st Edition Herstein. However, if there is an element a \in A that is not related to any other member of A, then it is not considered an equivalence relation. An example of this would be the set A= {1, 2, 3} and the relation {(1, 1), (1,2), (2,1), (2,2)}. In this case, (1,2)
imranq

Homework Statement

zu3x5e.png

Homework Equations

An equivalence relation on a set A, is for a,b,c in A if:
a~a
a~b => b~a
a~b and b~c => a~c

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems uncomplicated, but I don't know how I would write down a proof. The book I'm using is Topics in Algebra, 1st Edition Herstein

Physics news on Phys.org
What if there were some element [itex]a \in A[/itex] which wasn't related to any other member of [itex]A[/itex]?

In other words, consider A= {1, 2, 3} and the relation is {(1, 1), (1,2), (2,1), (2,2)},

HallsofIvy said:
In other words, consider A= {1, 2, 3} and the relation is {(1, 1), (1,2), (2,1), (2,2)},

I don't understand this. I think equivalence classes are generalized equal signs for some property. So (1,1) I understand, but how so for (1,2)?

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for all of mathematics and is used to solve problems in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and physics.

2. What are the basic operations in set theory?

The basic operations in set theory are union, intersection, and complement. Union is the combination of two sets, intersection is the common elements between two sets, and complement is the set of all elements that are not in a particular set.

3. How do you represent sets in set theory?

Sets in set theory can be represented in different ways, such as using braces { } and listing the elements, using a roster notation to list the elements, or using set-builder notation to describe the properties of the elements in the set.

4. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in a set. It is denoted by |S|, where S is the set. For example, if a set S = {1, 2, 3}, then its cardinality is 3.

5. What is the difference between a finite and an infinite set?

A finite set is a set that has a limited number of elements, while an infinite set has an unlimited number of elements. Finite sets can be counted, while infinite sets cannot be fully counted.