Start Your Set Theory Journey - Choose the Right Books

In summary, Sid recommends that if you want to learn set theory, you should start with Hrbacek and Jech, but it may be too expensive. He also suggests Stoll's Set Theory and Logic as an alternative.
sidkap
HI friend ,

I am confused about how to start set theory , i want to learn it fully, so please help me in choosing books on this topic which covers from very basics to full advance.

thanks
Sid

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what books to recommend. However this question should be in the set theory forum. You'll get more responses there.

mathman said:
I don't know what books to recommend. However this question should be in the set theory forum. You'll get more responses there.
Agreed. I have moved the thread to "Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics"

What mathematics do you already know?? What do you think you will learn in set theory??

Anyways, the book by Hrbacek and Jech is the best introduction to set theory that there exists. But it may need be suited for you, that's why I asked the questions...

i want to do preparation for Ph D computer science entrance.
for that i want to learn it from scratch

As mentioned by micromass, Hrbacek and Jech is about as good as you get. However, I've found that the book is very pricey. There are alternatives. Consider Stoll's Set Theory and Logic. It's excellent. Some of the chapters focus on formal logic, algebra, or the construction of the number line, but he does it in a way that keeps Set Theory front and center. I personally think Stoll's book is a better introduction to the subject, but there's no doubt that Hrbacek and Jech's book is the gold standard. I've heard people really enjoyed Halmos' Naive Set Theory, but in my opinion, it's good for a beginner, but too skimpy for much else.

I'd figure out what you know already, and where you want to go with Set Theory. Each text assumes something different from the reader, and this is important. Then, once you figure out where you are mathematically, choose a book. Good luck. I've found Set Theory to be one of the more rewarding subjects I have studied/am studying.

Halmos Set Theory created more problems for me than it solved tbh, I've just ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521168481/?tag=pfamazon01-20
because it not only builds all of the prerequisite logic up in the opening chapter (100 pages!)
but because the preface sounds as if it's exactly what I've been looking for & because it
discusses things I've been trying to find out about in the context of set theory. Read the
preface on amazon's preview feature and see how it applies to you, hopefully it's not a
waste :/

edit: Gave the wrong link - fixed now :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is set theory and why is it important?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is important because it provides a foundation for other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and calculus, and is also used in various fields like computer science, linguistics, and philosophy.

What are some beginner-friendly books on set theory?

Some beginner-friendly books on set theory include "Set Theory: A First Course" by Daniel W. Cunningham, "Naive Set Theory" by Paul R. Halmos, and "A Book of Set Theory" by Charles C. Pinter.

What are some advanced books on set theory?

Some advanced books on set theory include "Set Theory" by Thomas Jech, "Introduction to Set Theory" by Hrbacek and Jech, and "Axiomatic Set Theory" by Patrick Suppes.

What topics should I focus on when studying set theory?

Some important topics to focus on when studying set theory include basic concepts such as sets, elements, subsets, and operations on sets, as well as more advanced topics like cardinality, transfinite numbers, and the Axiom of Choice.

What are some real-world applications of set theory?

Set theory has many real-world applications, such as in database management, computer programming, genetics, and game theory. It is also used in decision making, analyzing data, and solving problems in various fields, such as economics and physics.