Demonstrating Subset Relationship: A ∩ B ⊆ (A ∩ C) ∪ (B ∩ C')

In summary: Here's the basic math definition of "subset": X is a subset of Y if every member of X is also a member of Y. So, let's use that definition to prove the given subset. In summary, to prove that A \cap B \subset (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C'), we can use the definition of subset and show that if x is in A \cap B, then it is also in (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C'). By the definition of intersection, we know that x is simultaneously in A and B. From there, we can consider two cases: if x is in C, then it is in both A and C, and
trixitium

Homework Statement

Show that:

[itex] A \cap B \subset (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C') [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tryed distribute [itex] (A \cap C) over (B \cap C') [/itex] but I'm always walking in circles and i don't came to a satisfactory answer. This exercise was in a section "some easy exercies on complementation" but i don't see how to use complements here.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is [itex]C^\prime[/itex] supposed to be the complement of C??

The standard way to show that "[itex]X\subseteq Y[/itex]" is to start "if [itex]x\in X[/itex]" and then use the definitions of X and Y to conclude "[itex]x\in Y[/itex]".

Here, if [itex]x\in A\cap B[/itex], what can you say about x?

Yes, [itex]C'[/itex] is the complement of [itex] C [/itex]

if [itex] x \in A \cap B [/itex],

by the definition of intersection:

[itex] A \cap B = \{x \in A : x \in B\} [/itex]

and we can conclude that x is simultaneously in A and B.

But my doubt, is how to reduced the [itex] (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C') [/itex] to a expression that i can readly see that [itex] A \cap B \subset (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C') [/itex].

I tryed ...

[itex] (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C') = [/itex]
[itex] (A' \cup C')' \cup (B' \cup C)' = [/itex]
[itex] [(A' \cup C') \cap (B' \cup C)]' = [/itex]
[itex] (...) [/itex]
[itex] A \cup B \cup C' [/itex]

But it takes me a lot of work, I'm not sure if this result is correct and i think that exists a better way of doing this...

Thanks

You certainly know that [itex]X\subset Y[/itex] if and only if [itex]X \bigcap Y=X[/itex].
[itex]X=A\bigcap B [/itex] and [itex]Y=(A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C')[/itex]

ehild

trixitium said:
Yes, [itex]C'[/itex] is the complement of [itex] C [/itex]

if [itex] x \in A \cap B [/itex],

by the definition of intersection:

[itex] A \cap B = \{x \in A : x \in B\} [/itex]

and we can conclude that x is simultaneously in A and B.

But my doubt, is how to reduced the [itex] (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C') [/itex] to a expression that i can readly see that [itex] A \cap B \subset (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C') [/itex].
Good, we know x is in both A and B. And we know that x is either in C or it is NOT! That means x is C or it is in C'
Case 1: Suppose x is in C. We know it is in A therefore ...
Case 2: Suppose x is in C'. We know it is in B therefore ...

I tryed ...

[itex] (A \cap C) \cup (B \cap C') = [/itex]
[itex] (A' \cup C')' \cup (B' \cup C)' = [/itex]
[itex] [(A' \cup C') \cap (B' \cup C)]' = [/itex]
[itex] (...) [/itex]
[itex] A \cup B \cup C' [/itex]

But it takes me a lot of work, I'm not sure if this result is correct and i think that exists a better way of doing this...

Thanks
In my opinion, to much focus on "formulas", not enough on basic "definitions".

1. What does the notation A ∩ B ⊆ (A ∩ C) ∪ (B ∩ C') mean?

This notation represents the subset relationship between the sets A ∩ B and (A ∩ C) ∪ (B ∩ C'). It means that all elements in the intersection of A and B are also contained in either the intersection of A and C or the complement of the intersection of B and C.

2. How does this subset relationship demonstrate the concept of inclusivity?

This relationship shows that the intersection of A and B is a subset of the union of two other sets, (A ∩ C) and (B ∩ C'). This means that the elements in A and B are included in at least one of these two sets, demonstrating inclusivity.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this subset relationship?

Sure, let's say A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {2, 3, 4}. If we take the intersection of A and B, we get A ∩ B = {2, 3}. Now, let's say C = {2, 4, 6}. The intersection of A and C is {2} and the intersection of B and C' is {3, 6}. The union of these two sets is {(2, 3, 6)}. As we can see, the elements in A ∩ B (2 and 3) are also contained in the union of (A ∩ C) and (B ∩ C'), satisfying the subset relationship.

4. Why is this subset relationship important in mathematics?

This subset relationship is important because it helps us to understand the relationships between different sets and how they are connected. It also allows us to make logical deductions and prove mathematical statements.

5. How does this subset relationship relate to real-world applications?

This subset relationship can be applied in many real-world scenarios, such as in data analysis and statistics. It can also be used in computer science to optimize algorithms and data structures. Additionally, it can help in decision-making processes by identifying common elements and relationships between different groups or categories.