Constructing a Function to Prove Countability of a Set of Positive Real Numbers

• Thread starter moo5003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a set of positive real numbers is countable given a bound on the sum of any finite subset. The suggested approach is to use a function from natural numbers to A or to show that A is not countable and derive a contradiction. The approach using sets A_n, which are subsets of A that are greater than 1/n, is then discussed and ultimately used in the proof. The conversation ends with a final proof using a contradiction.
moo5003

Homework Statement

Let A be a set of positive real numbers. Assume that there is a bound b such that the sum of any finite subset of A is less than b. Show that A is countable.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, my first question is what would be a better approach? Trying to find a function from the natural numbers to A or supposing that A is not countable and deriving a contradiction.

I'm a little stumped on how to start the construction of such a function.

Physics news on Phys.org
For all natural numbers n, consider the set of all elements of A that are greater than 1/n, call it A_n. That's a hint. Think about it.

Well, eventually all the A_n's will capture every element of A, its an increasing sequence.

I guess I could argue that each A_n is finite since if it weren't it proabably would be possible to find some finite subset of A_n who'se sum is greater then b.

Since A = the union of A_n's then the cardinlaity of A is countable since its the union of countably many countable sets.

Only problem I have with this argument is I'm not sure how to show with rigor that A_n must be countable or rather (finite).

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I got my proof.

If A_n is infinite then we can find a finite subset of A_n with cardinality m*n where m > b. m,n are natural numbers.

Thus the sum of the subset must be bounded by b. But each element is greater then 1/n thus the sum is greater then (1/n)m*n = m > b which is a contradiction. Thus A_n must be finite.

Nice use of the hint.

What is a countable set?

A countable set is a set that has a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that the elements in the set can be counted and listed in a sequence.

How do you determine if a set is countable?

To determine if a set is countable, you can use the following methods:

• If the set has a finite number of elements, it is countable.
  • If the set can be listed in a sequence, it is countable.
  • If there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set and the natural numbers, it is countable.

Can an infinite set be countable?

Yes, an infinite set can be countable as long as there is a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that the set can still be listed and counted, even though it has an infinite number of elements.

What is the difference between a countable and uncountable set?

A countable set can be listed and counted, while an uncountable set cannot. This is because there is no one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers in an uncountable set.

Can a countable set contain uncountable subsets?

Yes, a countable set can contain uncountable subsets. For example, the set of real numbers is uncountable, but it can be a subset of a countable set, such as the set of all numbers (integers, fractions, etc.).