Seti@Home and other screen savers

  • Thread starter Nereid
  • Start date
  • #1
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,401
3
Who runs this on their PC/workstation?

Any others like it in use among the members of PF?

Just curious.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
tribdog
749
17
I was really into Seti@Home a few years ago. I didn't run it as a screen saver because it ran almost twice as fast on my computer without the graphics, I didn't realize they were still doing it though. I think they changed their website or something because last time I tried downloading a new packet I couldn't get through.
 
  • #3
18,834
9,017
I used to run folding@home and some cancer research screensaver too. Not anymore though since I set my monitor to turn off.
 
  • #4
russ_watters
Mentor
21,937
8,973
I run seti.
 
  • #5
tribdog
749
17
Originally posted by russ_watters
I run seti.

yeah, but you are an alien so it doesn't count
 
  • #6
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,010
I have been running SETI since the first month of the program. I have it on three computers with a running total of about 15000 hrs.

As a sidebar. I once left a falsefied SETI screen for a housesitter. I copied the SETI screen into Paint and added the text:

ALIEN SIGNAL DETECTED. CONTACT NASA IMMEDIATELY.
 
  • #7
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,401
3
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I have been running SETI since the first month of the program. I have it on three computers with a running total of about 15000 hrs.

As a sidebar. I once left a falsefied SETI screen for a housesitter. I copied the SETI screen into Paint and added the text:

ALIEN SIGNAL DETECTED. CONTACT NASA IMMEDIATELY.

Did she (he)?

[Invited to dinner by Ivan? Check seats for woopie cushions]
 
  • #8
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,010
Originally posted by Nereid
Did she (he)?

[Invited to dinner by Ivan? Check seats for woopie cushions]

, I do have my moments.

He waited until I called and he said something like: Hey, I don't know what this is but I ain't callin NASA.

He knew what it was but he wanted nothing to do with it.
 
  • #9
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,401
3
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I used to run folding@home and some cancer research screensaver too. Not anymore though since I set my monitor to turn off.
Was this through Entropia.com?

I run the ZetaGrid package:
http://www.zetagrid.net/zeta/index.html [Broken]
The project seeks to verify the Riemann Hypothesis, which asserts that all nontrivial zeros of the zeta function are on the critical line (1/2+it where t is a real number).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #10
Zantra
781
3
I ran seti for a long time, and finally opted out of it in favor of another screen saver.
 
  • #11
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,401
3
Which one Zantra?

There's quite a lot happening in grid computing, and a number of companies are looking to develop platforms to break down general problems, for farming out as work units to the tens (hundreds?) of millions of home PC users who might be interested.
 
  • #12
Zantra
781
3
Originally posted by Nereid
Which one Zantra?

There's quite a lot happening in grid computing, and a number of companies are looking to develop platforms to break down general problems, for farming out as work units to the tens (hundreds?) of millions of home PC users who might be interested.

Oh I didn't go to another shared computing screen saver, I just wanted some of my computing power back for me ancient workhorse of a PC
:wink:

Was thinking about re-downloading seti though..
 
  • #13
brum
81
0
can you do these things on a mac?

update: yep, sure can

ill have to try one of these (never done 'em before)
 
Last edited:

Suggested for: Seti@Home and other screen savers

  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
533
Replies
11
Views
640
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
382
Replies
1
Views
411
Replies
1
Views
201
Replies
60
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
29
Views
1K
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
608
Top