Proving Sets and Functions Homework: f(f^-1(C)) = [C Intersection Im(f)]

C\cap Im(f).In summary, to prove that f(f^-1(C)) = [C intersection Im(f)], you must show that each set is a subset of the other. To do this, start by considering an arbitrary element y in f(f^-1(C)) and use its properties to show that it also belongs to C intersection Im(f). Then, consider an arbitrary element y in C intersection Im(f) and use its properties to show that it also belongs to f(f^-1(C)). This will prove that the two sets are equal. For further tips on approaching sets and functions problems, you can refer to this link (insert link here).
alphonsas

Homework Statement

f: A -> B is a function with C a subset of B. Prove that
f(f^-1(C)) = [C intersection Im(f)]. (f^-1(c) = f inverse of C)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please let me know how to approach to the solution (not using venn diagrams). Also if possible give me any link that gives tips on approaching any general sets and functions problem.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's K?

By K did you mean C?

Usually when you want to prove two sets are equal to each other, you prove each is a subset for the other. If [tex]y\in f(f^{-1}(C))[/tex] can you prove that [tex] y\in C\cap Im(f)[/tex]? Then you would have that [tex]f(f^{-1}(C))\subset C\cap Im(f)[/tex]. Do the other way also and you're done

I am sorry, that C.. how can I prove that y belongs to c intersection im(f)?

Well, you have some property that y satisfies because we know it belongs to [tex]f(f^{-1}(C))[/tex], which you should try to write down. Then use it

What is the definition of a function?

A function is a relation between a set of inputs and a set of possible outputs with the property that each input is related to exactly one output.

What does it mean for a function to be onto?

A function is onto if every element in the output set has at least one corresponding input element. In other words, every element in the output set is mapped to by at least one element in the input set.

What is the inverse of a function?

The inverse of a function is a new function that reverses the mapping of the original function. In other words, the inverse maps the output values of the original function back to their respective input values.

What is the intersection of two sets?

The intersection of two sets is the set of elements that are common to both sets. It is represented by the symbol ∩.

How do I prove that f(f^-1(C)) = [C Intersection Im(f)]?

To prove that f(f^-1(C)) = [C Intersection Im(f)], you must show that every element in f(f^-1(C)) is also in [C Intersection Im(f)] and vice versa. This can be done by showing that any element in f(f^-1(C)) is mapped to by an element in C and is also in the image of f, and that any element in [C Intersection Im(f)] is mapped to by an element in f^-1(C) and is also in the image of f.