Disproving A=B with Counter Example: Sets A, B & C

In summary: This follows from the fact that ##A \subseteq B## and that the intersection of two sets is always a set.In summary, the statement is true as long as C is non-empty.
klamgade
Hi ,

Can anyone please give me an idea to disprove the following with counter example:
A , B & C be sets. If A X C = B X C , the A = B .

I tried giving random numbers in venn diagram but didn't work. And, using subset way to prove equal but still couldn't solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you convinced that the statement is false?

Let ##Y## be some set (say ##Y=\{0,1\}## or ##Y=\mathbb R##), and consider the special case where ##C=Y^\infty##, the set of sequences in ##Y##.

Does ##A\times Y^\infty = B\times Y^\infty## imply ##A=B##? Let's think about the case of ##A=Y##.

Use the modus tollens. ##A \times C = B \times C \Rightarrow A = B## is the same as ##A \neq B \Rightarrow A \times C \neq B \times C##. Can you find a counterexample to the latter statement?

Last edited:
Thanks. I tried keeping set C as an empty set. It worked. Cheers :)

I'm new to Sets so if this doesn't apply my apolagizes.

AxC=BxC this statement will only be valid if C is invertable. So the Det(C) cannot be equal to zero. If you use a random number generator there is a possibility that the Det(C) will equal zero.

AxC=BxC
(AxC=BxC)xC^-1
A=B

if C is not invertable then A=B is not valid

SSGD said:
I'm new to Sets so if this doesn't apply my apolagizes.
AxC=BxC this statement will only be valid if C is invertable.

Your doubts are correct, but you still might be close.

In general, a set just sits there and does nothing. You can't talk about it being invertible. To talk about an inverse, there has to be more structure to C than just being a general set. Some sets are ordered pairs that represent functions. For a set like that, you can talk about the inverse of the function that the set defines.

Since the OP was asking for a counterexample, you could define a specific C that is a function and use that to prove it is a counterexample. You would have to be specific about C and use that. But the definition of the Cartesian product, A x C doesn't give you much to work with.

Consider the example that @klamgade came up with, C = [itex]\emptyset[/itex]. It is the fact that the operation "x[itex]\emptyset[/itex]" is not invertible that makes it work as a counterexample. It would not be correct to say that [itex]\emptyset[/itex] is not invertible.

klamgade said:
Hi ,

Can anyone please give me an idea to disprove the following with counter example:
A , B & C be sets. If A X C = B X C , the A = B .

I tried giving random numbers in venn diagram but didn't work. And, using subset way to prove equal but still couldn't solve it.

The best way to show this is false, perhaps, is to prove it's true! As follows:

##Let \ \ c \in C##
##For \ \ a \in A##
##(a, c) \in A \times C##
##(a, c) \in B \times C##
##a \in B##
##\therefore \ A \subseteq B##

By the same method you can show ##B \subseteq A## hence ##A = B##

So, the statement is true as long as C is non-empty.

I don't buy that argument. I don't think it follows from ##(a,c)\in A\times C## and ##c\in C## that ##a\in A##. Let ##C= \mathbb R^\infty## and ##A=\mathbb R##. Let ##c=(1,1,1,...)\in C## and ##a = (0,0)\in \mathbb R^2.## Then ##a\notin A##, but ##(a,c)=(0,d)##, where ##d=(0,1,1,1,...)\in C##, so that ##(a,c)\in A\times C##.

economicsnerd said:
I don't buy that argument. I don't think it follows from ##(a,c)\in A\times C## and ##c\in C## that ##a\in A##. Let ##C= \mathbb R^\infty## and ##A=\mathbb R##. Let ##c=(1,1,1,...)\in C## and ##a = (0,0)\in \mathbb R^2.## Then ##a\notin A##, but ##(a,c)=(0,d)##, where ##d=(0,1,1,1,...)\in C##, so that ##(a,c)\in A\times C##.

You're missing a subtlety of the definition of the Cartesian Product.

Let ##A = \mathbb{R} \ \ and \ \ B = \mathbb{R}^2##

Then a typical element of ##A \times B## would be:

##(x, (y, z))##

Which is not the same as:

##((x, y), z) \ \ or \ \ (x, y, z)##

Which are elements of ##B \times A## and ##\mathbb{R}^3## respectively.

In any case:

##(a, b) \in A \times B \ \ iff \ \ a \in A \ \ and \ \ b \in B##

1. What is a counterexample?

A counterexample is a specific example or case that disproves a general statement or claim. In the context of A=B, a counterexample would be a set of values that shows A and B are not equal.

2. How do you use a counterexample to disprove A=B?

To disprove A=B, you would need to find a counterexample where A and B have different values. This would show that the statement A=B is not always true.

3. Can you provide an example of using a counterexample to disprove A=B?

Sure, let's say A={1, 3, 5} and B={2, 4, 6}. The statement A=B would be false because A and B have different values. A counterexample to disprove A=B would be C={1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}, where A is a subset of C and B is a subset of C, but A and B are not equal.

4. What is the importance of using a counterexample in mathematics?

A counterexample is important because it allows us to disprove a general statement or claim. This helps us to better understand the limitations and exceptions of a mathematical concept and can lead to the development of new theories and ideas.

5. Is it always possible to disprove A=B with a counterexample?

Yes, if A and B are sets, it is always possible to disprove A=B with a counterexample. This is because there will always be at least one set of values that will show that A and B are not equal. However, for other mathematical concepts, it may not always be possible to disprove a statement with a counterexample.