Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sets and their Cardinality?

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    Hey guys, this is my first post, (Hi) was just wondering if i could get your help. I'm studying for my repeats and you guys can save me.

If X = {1,2,3,4}, Y = {2,4,6} what is the cardinality of the following sets?

(i) A = {x|x mod 2 = 0 and 0 <=x<=20}
    (ii) B = X * X * Y
    (iii) C = {(x,y)|x ≠ y and x,y ∈ X}

Please explain your train of thought in solving this. I am trying hard to understand the right way to approach this question quickly, Thank you for your time guys...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2
    I've tried them out, with the following answers:-

(i) A = {2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20}, Therefore A has a cardinality of 10 (elements).
    (ii) B = Cartesian Product of 'X times X times Y' or better yet '4 by 4 by 3' elements each to give a total of 48 in cardinality?!
    (iii) C = UNSOLVED!!!

I wanna make sure someone agrees with me having the right answers since you're the pros

I really wanna know what the '|' symbol stands for or means, as in 'x|x'. Hard to specifically search for in a book.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    Figured it out. I will post the full answer for future questioneers

(i) A = {2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20}, Therefore A has a cardinality of 10 (elements).
    (ii) B = Cartesian Product of 'X times X times Y' or better yet '4 by 4 by 3' elements each to give a total of 48 in cardinality?!

(iii) C = {(x,y)|x ≠ y and x,y ∈ X}

pairs x,y {such as (1,1),(1,2),etc...} drawn from set X with a cardinality of '4 by 4 = 16' as in the question "x,y ∈ X". Due to the statement 'x ≠ y' pairs can't come in equals, discarding the following four sets (1,1),(2,2),(3,3),(4,4). The end product is 16-4 giving a cardinality of 12 for set 'C'.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4
    How much is 0 (mod 2)? In the set A, the possible values of x include 0, don't they? Anyway, I'm sure you remember that any number that is 0(mod2) is even and vice-versa.

6. Aug 5, 2010 #5
    Yes i do, and thanks for pointing that out in any case, it's always the little things that count >_<

7. Aug 5, 2010 #6
    C has the cardinality|X*X| - |x|.

Because for every x in X, there is a pair (x,x), which are exactly the ones not in {(x,y) : x != y /\ x,y in X}

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook