1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Sets, Cartesian product

1. May 12, 2017 #1
    Hi guys,
    I would like to ask if a set can contain coordinates of points, for example A={[1,3];[4,5];[4,7]} and if we can do Cartesian product of such sets, for example A={[1,3];[4,5]}, B={[7,8];[4,2]} A×B={[1,3][7,8];[1,3][4,2];[4,5][7,8];[4,5][4,2]} (is it correct to write it like that?). I am familiar with doing that when we have sets of numbers (A={1;2}, B={7;5} A×B={[1,7];[1,5];[2,7];[2,5]}). but I am not sure if it is correct with coordinates of points.
    Mod note: Fixed typo "carthesian"

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can write the elements whichever you want, e.g. ##[1,3][7,8]## or ##[1,3;7,8]## or ##[1,3,7,8]## or ##\begin{bmatrix}1&3\\7&8\end{bmatrix}##. It is certainly useful not to mix them like ##[1,7][3,8]##, because this would probably be harder to read, but as long as you're consistent, there is no rule.
    I would probably write ##A=\{(1,3),(4,5)\}\; , \;B=\{(7,8),(4,2)\}## as round parenthesis are more common for tuples and commas as separators in a list, and then ##A \times B = \{\; ((1,3),(7,8))\, , \, ((1,3),(4,2))\; , \;((4,5),(4,2))\, , \,((4,5),(4,2))\;\} ## but only in set theory. With different applications, this might change.

4. May 12, 2017 #3
    Thanks for answer.

5. May 13, 2017 #4
    Perhaps the definition of the Cartesian product would be of some use. Let ##\Gamma## be be an arbitrary nonvoid set, and a set ##A_\gamma## is putted in correspondence to each element ##\gamma\in\Gamma##. Then by definition a set ##\Pi_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_\gamma## consists of functions ##f:\Gamma\to \bigcup_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_{\gamma}## such that ##f(\gamma)\in A_\gamma##.
    For example a set ##\mathbb{R}\times\mathbb{N}## consists of functions ##f:\{1,2\}\to \mathbb{R}\cup\mathbb{N}## (it looks little bit strange, obviously ##\mathbb{R}\cup\mathbb{N}=\mathbb{R}##) such that ##f(1)=a_1\in\mathbb{R},\quad f(2)=a_2\in\mathbb{N}##. This function is also presented as ##(a_1,a_2)##.
    Another example: a set ##\mathbb{R}^\mathbb{N}## consists of all functions ##f:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{R}## those functions can be presented as infinite sequences ##(a_1,a_2,\ldots),\quad f(i)=a_i\in\mathbb{R}##.
    If all the ##A_\gamma## are vector spaces over the same field then ##\Pi_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_\gamma## is also a vector space. By the Choice axiom the set ##\Pi_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_\gamma## is not empty as long as all the sets ##A_\gamma## are not empty

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. May 13, 2017 #5

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

You forgot to mention that the Cartesian product solves a universal mapping problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted