Understanding Index Sets & Union of Sets

In summary, a set T serves as an index set for a family F = {Aa} of sets if for every a in T there exists a set Aa in the family. The union of the sets Aa, where a is in T, is the set of all numbers in at least one of those sets, denoted by \bigcup(a\inT) Aa. A simple example is if S is the set of real numbers and T is the set of rational numbers, then Aa = {x| x\geqa} and \bigcup(a\inT) Aa = S. This means that every real number is in at least one of the sets Aa. The notation might be confusing
annoymage

Homework Statement

1.Given a set T we say that T serves as an index set for family F={Aa} of sets if for every a in T there exists a set Aa in family F.

2. By the union of the sets Aa, where a is in T, we mean the set
{x l x[tex]\in[/tex]Aa for at least one a in T}. We shall denote it by [tex]\bigcup[/tex](a[tex]\in[/tex]T) Aa.

i think its better if i show example

example:

if S is the set of real number, T is the set of rational number, let, for

a[tex]\in[/tex]T, Aa = {x[tex]\in[/tex]S l x[tex]\geq[/tex]a}

so [tex]\bigcup[/tex](a[tex]\in[/tex]T) Aa = S

what i don't understand

i can see how ..,A-1, A0, A1 ,... is,

and i don't know how to change it to
[tex]\bigcup[/tex](a[tex]\in[/tex]T) Aa
or how it is equal to S, because I am perplexed with definition (2) particularly x[tex]\in[/tex]Aa for at least one a in T

help help

p/s: sorry if it is abit messy, still progressing in latex

Physics news on Phys.org
annoymage said:

Homework Statement

1.Given a set T we say that T serves as an index set for family F={Aa} of sets if for every a in T there exists a set Aa in family F.
Doesn't the definition say "for every a in T there exists exactly one set Aa in family F"?

2. By the union of the sets Aa, where a is in T, we mean the set
{x l x[tex]\in[/tex]Aa for at least one a in T}. We shall denote it by [tex]\bigcup[/tex](a[tex]\in[/tex]T) Aa.

i think its better if i show example

example:

if S is the set of real number, T is the set of rational number, let, for

a[tex]\in[/tex]T, Aa = {x[tex]\in[/tex]S l x[tex]\geq[/tex]a}

so [tex]\bigcup[/tex](a[tex]\in[/tex]T) Aa = S

what i don't understand

i can see how ..,A-1, A0, A1 ,... is,
Do you mean what those sets are?
A-1 is, by this definition, the set of all real numbers greater than or equal to 0: [itex]\{x| x\ge -1\}= [-1, \infty)[/itex]. [itex]A_0= [0, \infty)[/itex], etc.

and i don't know how to change it to
[tex]\bigcup[/tex](a[tex]\in[/tex]T) Aa
What do you mean "change" it to that? They are not the same at all- one is a collection of sets, the other is the union of all those- the set of all numbers in anyone of them.

or how it is equal to S, because I am perplexed with definition (2) particularly x[tex]\in[/tex]Aa for at least one a in T
That simply means "x is in at least one of those sets". The union of a collection of sets is, as usual, the set of all members of any of the sets in the collection.

help help

p/s: sorry if it is abit messy, still progressing in latex

In this particular case, since, given any real number x, there exist a rational number, r< x, [itex]x\in A_r[/itex] for that particular r. Since every real number is in at least one of those sets, S is just the set of all real numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite simple really, just a lot of fancy notation.
So, you got a bunch of As, each contains a bunch of x's. Get all the unique x's, from all the A's and put them together into a new set. This new set is S. It contains all the x's such that each x belongs it some of the A's.

I hope it helps.

HallsofIvy said:
Doesn't the definition say "for every a in T there exists exactly one set Aa in family F"?

no, i copy this from "Topic in Algebra, Herstien",
but yea, the "there exist a set" confuses me, like, for every a , there's maybe other branches of set.
ok, i'll follow "exactly one".
HallsofIvy said:
Do you mean what those sets are?
A-1 is, by this definition, the set of all real numbers greater than or equal to 0: [itex]\{x| x\ge -1\}= [-1, \infty)[/itex]. [itex]A_0= [0, \infty)[/itex], etc.

yes, yes, that's what i mean, I'm still progressing in english, so, correct me if I'm wrong along the way.
HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean "change" it to that? They are not the same at all- one is a collection of sets, the other is the union of all those- the set of all numbers in anyone of them.

my mistake

HallsofIvy said:
In this particular case, since, given any real number x, there exist a rational number, r< x, [itex]x\in A_r[/itex] for that particular r. Since every real number is in at least one of those sets, S is just the set of all real numbers.

ok, so i confused here,

A(-1)=[-1,oo), A(0)=[0,oo], A(1)=[1,oo),.. these are the sets,

"Since every real number is in at least one of those sets"

so, let 1 for example, A(2) don't have {1}?

correct me please,

now i need to sleep, its 5am here still not sleeping

thanks in advance

HallsofIvy said:
That simply means "x is in at least one of those sets". The union of a collection of sets is, as usual, the set of all members of any of the sets in the collection.

now i woke up, i get it already. thank you very much :D

1. What is an index set?

An index set is a collection of numbers or symbols used to label the elements of a set. It is typically denoted by the letter "I" and can be finite or infinite. Index sets are often used in mathematics to define and organize sets.

2. How do index sets work?

Index sets work by assigning a unique label to each element in a set. This allows for easy referencing and manipulation of the elements in the set. Index sets are commonly used in operations such as indexing, union, and intersection of sets.

3. What is the union of sets?

The union of sets is a mathematical operation that combines two or more sets into a single set, containing all the elements from the original sets. This can be represented using the symbol "∪" and is often used to find the total number of unique elements in multiple sets.

4. What is the difference between union and intersection of sets?

The union of sets combines all the elements from two or more sets, while the intersection of sets only includes the elements that are common to all the sets. In other words, the union is a combination of sets, while the intersection is a selection of elements that are shared by all sets.

5. How are index sets and union of sets related?

Index sets are frequently used in the process of finding the union of sets. The index set provides a way to identify and organize the elements of a set, which is essential in determining the union of multiple sets. Index sets are also used in other operations such as finding the intersection and complement of sets.