1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sets, tuples, etc

1. Jan 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So if a question asks you for a pair set, with some criteria, is it enough to just say S = {a,b} or do you need something extra? Also this is another question that is from my set theory class, if the question defines a function and to solve over the Real numbers, ex. 1-|x^2-1| = 0, I know it isn't as simple as it looks, I know we are supposed to give all the values of x satisfying this function in a set, but I think our professor is looking for some kind of proof, like using, "if a = b then |a| = |b|". So my question is, how do I integrate those if statements while solving for all values of x?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is a simple constraint for elements of a set that does not apply to elements of a tuple.
    There are three ways I can of for dealing with modulus signs.
    1. Square
    In this example you can write (x2-1)2 = 1. Not useful here, though.
    2. Consider each combination of the binary choices separately.
    To illustrate that I need a more complicated example: 1-|x^2-1| = |x+3|
    The four cases to be considered correspond to x2>1 versus x2<1, and x>-3 versus x<-3. Some combinations may turn out to be impossible.
    3. Find all the critical values of x and divide the real line up into corresponding intervals. In my example, the critical values are x=-1, x=+1, x=-3, so the line is divided into four intervals.

Generally, method 3 scales better than method 2 (which grows cases exponentially).

4. Jan 23, 2014 #3
    Thanks, that helped, I figured out the solution set to all parts of that question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted