Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting hotkeys problem C#

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    I have written a program in C# which presses some keys and do some mouse movements and clicks
    Now i want to bind a key to my start and stop buttons (works even if window is not the active window)
    I searched in google but got confused . Isn't there any easy way to do this (for example i want Alt + F2 to stop the program)
    And also i saw something like this and it didnt work (unless button1.PerformClick(); is the wrong command for hitting a button)
    private void Form1_PreviewKeyDown(object sender, PreviewKeyDownEventArgs e)
    {
    if (e.KeyCode == Keys.F8)
    {

}
    }

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Unless the window is active, I don't believe that it will respond to keypress events. The description for PreviewKeyDown (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.control.previewkeydown(v=vs.110).aspx) says (emphasis added), "Occurs before the KeyDown event when a key is pressed while focus is on this control."

I'm pretty sure that whatever window is the one that is active is the one listening for key events.

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3
    Any other easy way i can do this ?
    Because it will be annoying to stop the program with a mouse movement process (especially for simple users they might force restart their computer to stop it :D )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook