1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting the equ. of motion help

1. Nov 25, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have to find the equations of motion using Newton's laws for this system (see attached file). I have found them using Lagrange's equations and compared with a friend's results: we have the same.

[tex]m_1 (\ddot{x_1} - \ddot{x}) + k_1 x_1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]m_2 (\ddot{x} + \ddot{x_2}) + k_2 x_2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]m_1(\ddot{x} - \ddot{x_1}) + m_2 (\ddot{x} + \ddot{x_2}) + m_3 \ddot{x} = 0[/tex]

But how do we arrive to that with Newton's laws? Why isn't it simply [itex]m_1 \ddot{x_1} + k_1 x_1 = 0[/itex] for [itex]m_1[/itex] ?!

eee.. I should have posted this in the homework help section, I apologize.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2004 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I found the third one; it's the equation of motion for the center of mass of the system.

4. Nov 28, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And the other 2 work too if you consider the position of m1 and m2 as being mesured from the same axe as the position of m3 (i.e. the coordinate x) and take care of inverting the sign of the force on m1 because the x1 coordinate is measured in the opposite direction to x.

(I'm writting this because a lot of people have checked the thread but no one answered. So some people may be interested in the solution.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?