Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Setting the even bits to 1

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    /*
    * evenBits - return word with all even-numbered bits set to 1
    * Legal ops: ! ~ & ^ | + << >>
    * Max ops: 8
    * Rating: 2
    */
    int evenBits(void) {
    return ?;
    }

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea! What I originally thought was that I would have to perform a shift by 31 (whether left or right, I dont know) so that all the numbers would be set to all 0's or 1's and work from there, but then I realized that the odd bits should probably remain the same. I guess I could create an int var, of -1 or something and go from there, but really I just don't know if that would accomplish anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S does anyone know of some links that could give me a better understanding of all these bitwise and logical operations? Because I also have to do stuff like: if x <= y then return 1, else return 0 / implement the ! operator, using all of the legal operators except !/ x+y+z using only a single '+', and I would love to get a better understanding why/how to do this, instead of fumbling around for hours on end. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Both bytes - older and younger - will be identical. All you have to do then is to move one byte to the left and to combine it with the other one.

4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    Hrmm I think I see what you're saying, basically do a left shift by a byte (x << 4, correct?) and then or it with what the original was? But nothing is being passed in to the function, and I need a variable in order to do the left shift correct? I guess i'm still having trouble comprehending how exactly the shift is done with nothing passed. Thanks for the help!

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

Borek

How many bits in byte?

You don't need a variable, you can shift just a value. For example common way of combining characters into integers is

code = ('R' << 24) + ('I' << 16) + ('F' << 8) + 'F';

this is sometimes used to prepare constants that will be used in fast checking if the data starts with a given character sequence ("RIFF" in this case) - instead of doing string comparison you are doing much faster int comparison.

In case you wonder: RIFF stands for Resource Interchange File Format and all AVI and WAV files start with this sequence.

6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    *smacks self on forehead* 8, there are 8 bits in a byte!

So then I should probably have something like:

('A' << 8) | A correct?

7. Sep 30, 2008 #6

Borek

Seems OK. Just select correct value for A.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook