Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up Domain

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    I bought the domain www.utoe.org threw web.com and I have no Idea how to redirect the url to the one where I have my site hosted? could someone help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

At any point during registration or configuration did you notice a field to enter an IP address to set as the domain authority?

If not, you'll probably have to request a domain transfer from ICANN, and you'll receive an email authorizing the transfer of the domain to your desired IP.

Right now the domain is registered to an IP in a range owned by SBC Internet Services.

What I'm worried is that you paid for a website hosting, and not a domain through a real DNS registar.

Edit: After reading web.com's front page, it appears they offer `Complete DNS Management'. So, the ability does exist. I can't provide any direct support because I'm not familiar with web.com

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    how would i go about contacting Icann?

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

Well, if you don't have authority of the domain and web.com does, they'll email web.com instead of you. Regardless, read my edit in the previous post.

6. Dec 5, 2004 #5

graphic7

Gold Member

As you can see web.com does have authority. Their `DNS management' will probably allow to you set up some fowards, subdomains, and mail exchangers; regardless, you do not have authority over it yourself.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
    vsurf.com
    origin = Ns5.web.com
    mail addr = webmaster.vsurf.com
    serial = 1093896563
    refresh = 10800
    retry = 3600
    expire = 604800
    minimum = 86400

7. Dec 6, 2004 #6
    You need to go on your host and put ur DNS info, no?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?