Setting up linear equations for problems dealing with specific gravity.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in setting up a system of equations to find the values of x and y in an object composed of lead and tin. The object weighs 82 gram-moles in air and 77 gram-moles in oil of specific gravity 1/2. Different approaches have been suggested, including using a statement of mass addition and a statement of volume addition, as well as considering the buoyant force and total volume. However, there is still uncertainty about the correctness of the answer and potential errors in algebra.
Agnostic
I can not, for the life of me, figure out how to set the following up into a system of equations.

An object composed of x gram-mole of lead (specific gravity 11) and y gram-mole of tin(specific gravity 7) weights 82 gram-moles in air and 77 gram-moles in oil of specific gravity of 1/2. Find x and y.

Finding x and y is simple, if I could figure out the right way to set it up...:(

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with a statement of mass addition,
and a statement of volume addition.
The buoyant Force (5gram)g = V*(.5gram/cm^3)g
gives you a way to write the total Volume.

I still can't get it to come out to the correct answer...

"correct answer" might be wrong.
maybe youmade an algebra mistake...
what have you done so far?

1. What is specific gravity?

Specific gravity is a measure of the density of a substance compared to the density of water. It is typically represented by the symbol "SG" and has no units.

2. Why do we need to set up linear equations for problems involving specific gravity?

Linear equations are used to solve for unknown variables in a problem. In the case of specific gravity, we need to use the known values of density and volume to find the unknown value of specific gravity. Setting up a linear equation allows us to use algebra to solve for this unknown value.

3. What information is needed to set up a linear equation for a specific gravity problem?

To set up a linear equation for a specific gravity problem, we need to know the density of the substance, the density of water, and the volume of the substance.

4. Can a linear equation be used to solve for specific gravity in any situation?

Yes, as long as the problem involves finding the specific gravity of a substance using its density and volume, a linear equation can be used to solve for the unknown value of specific gravity.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear equations for specific gravity problems?

Linear equations can only be used to solve for specific gravity in situations where the density and volume of the substance are known. If these values are not given, a different method will need to be used to find the specific gravity.