1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up SHM force equation

1. Sep 11, 2006 #1
    Say you had a spring hanging vertically-- spring constant k. A mass m is attached to it and it's at its equilibrium position, b.
    Say, I decide to extend it (downward) such that its total extension distance from how it would be normally (without the mass) is x. Say I take the upward direction as positive. The moment I let go of it, the sum of the forces should be:
    [tex]kx - mg = m \dfrac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex]
    Now, at some point I'd be asked a question (on a test) that says "Prove SHM".
    To do so I have to get my force equation to the form [tex]\dfrac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}} = - \omega^{2} (x-b)[/tex], yet I can only do this if I had gotten:
    [tex]mg - kx = m \dfrac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex]
    As my force equation.
    Can someone tell me what I did wrong in forming my original force equation? I'd like to clear this up before my exam tomorrow.
    Thanks alot.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Even though you took upward as positive, you still defined your "x" as being downward. You have the wrong sign for [tex] \dfrac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex]. An upward acceleration would be [tex]- \dfrac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex].

4. Sep 11, 2006 #3
    Exactly why is [tex]\dfrac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex] negative? Can you elaborate?
    Thanks for the reply.

5. Sep 11, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

When [tex]\dfrac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex] is positive it means that the acceleration is in the +x direction. You defined x to be + downward. (Otherwise the restoring force would be -kx, not kx.)

You can stick with your definition of x, and call down to be postive. In which case the forces would be -kx & mg; set that sum equal to [tex]m \dfrac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?