1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Settling time and overshoot

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data + the attempt at solution
    I have the next transfer function:

[tex]H(s)=\frac{P(s)}{1+C(s)P(s)}[/tex]

where [tex]P(s)=\frac{20}{(s^2-2s+9)(s+100)}[/tex]

[tex] C(s)=m(s+40)[/tex]

Now I want to find the settling time and overshoot of [tex]H(s)[/tex] as [tex]m\rightarrow \infty[/tex] to whithin 5 percent accuracy.

Now what I thought when [tex]m\rightarrow \infty[/tex] [tex]H(s)\approx \frac{1}{C(s)}[/tex].

So basically in this case the quadratic equation (in the notation of next webpage:
    http://wikis.lib.ncsu.edu/index.php/Second_Order_Dynamics) is:

[tex]s^2+(-2s+20ms)+(9+800m)[/tex]

Is this right or am I just rambling nonsense here, I am lost here.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that when we have the Quadratic ploynomial in the denominator of [tex]G(s)=P(s)C(s)[/tex] s.t:
    [tex] s^2+2\zeta \omega_n s +\omega_n ^2[/tex]

then the settling time is given by:

[tex]t_s \approx \frac{3}{\zeta \omega_n}[/tex]

and the overshoot is given by:

[tex] \sigma = exp(\frac{-\zeta \pi}{\sqrt{1-\zeta^2}})[/tex]

Any hints or advice are welcomed and much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2
    Are you familiar with the root locus method? It describes the path the roots take when a single parameter, like m, is varied. I would need to do a little review before giving a better answer but maybe this will get you started.

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Yes I know about the RL.

I am not sure how to calculate the overshoot and settling time here, though I know that I need to look at the Bode graph of [tex]\frac{1}{m(s+40)}[/tex]

And I know that the frequency that the asymptote to the the magnitude of the above expression intersects the [tex]\omega[/tex] axis is given by: [tex]\omega= 40[/tex].

Other than that, I am not sure how to procceed, any advice?

5. Dec 19, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My reaction is to agree with you that as m → ∞, H(s) = 1/C(S) = 1/m(s+40).

The impulse response to this H(s) is simply (1/m)exp(-40t). The step response is simply (1/m)[1 - exp(-40t)]. In neither case is there any overshoot. So I am as confused as you ... :smile:

6. Dec 20, 2012 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

And what of the settling time of 1/C(s)?

Thank you for your help.

7. Dec 20, 2012 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since the output is an exponential decay you can compute settling time depending on your definition of "settling time". For example, if the input is a step function, and "settling time" ts is defined as 95% of "final" value, then you solve for ts from 1 - exp(-40ts) = 0.95.

8. Dec 20, 2012 #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

OK, thanks.

Then the overshoot is zero.

9. Dec 20, 2012 #8
    The problem with m→∞ is that the response goes to zero. So you can't let m→∞. Maybe you can say m becomes large enough that it dominates the response. Then I do agree with what you have been saying. You can call the (s+100) pole insignificant as I think you did or you could do this, which is another way to deal with these sorts of boundary case problems:

[itex]0=1+C(s)P(s)=s^3+98s^2+(20m-191)s+(900+800m)[/itex]

Making m large can simplify this by making most terms too small to be counted. Dividing by m yields this:

[itex]0=\frac{1}{m}(s^3+98s^2-191s+900)+20s+800\approx s+40[/itex]

This means you have a single pole response as you found.

Your root equation can be written in the standard form with the parameter m in the right place for root locus:

[itex]1+C(s)P(s)=1+m\frac{20(s+40)}{(s^2-2s+9)(s+100)}=1+mQ(s)[/itex]

The root locus method says as m begins at 0 and approaches ∞, the roots of this equation begin at the poles of Q(s) and end at the zeroes of Q(s). Q(s) has two zeroes at ∞ and one zero at -40. It has three poles, one at -100 and two complex conjugate ones. The conclusion from root locus is that with m→∞, there will be two roots at ∞ and one at -40. The finite root is (s+40) as found above.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook