Several phys201 problems ( on how to approach them)

• Thread starter bmore007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, the conversation is discussing two problems related to one and two dimensional motion and vectors in a physics 201 class. The first problem involves finding the depth of a well given the time it takes for a rock to fall and the speed of sound. The second problem involves calculating the percentage error when ignoring the travel time of sound. The conversation includes equations and hints for solving the problems.
bmore007
hey, these problems are for my physics 201 class and i understand what's goin on somewhat i just need help in my approach to the problems. They have to do with one and two dimensional motion and vectors.

#1 A rock is dropped from rest into a well. The sound of the splash is actually heard 2.3 s after the rock is released from rest.(a) How far below the top of the well is the surface of the water? The speed of sound in air (at the ambient temperature) is 336 m/s.(b) If the travel time for the sound is neglected, what percentage error is introduced when the depth of the well is calculated?

#2 solved, thank you

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Find the time it would take you to hear the splash for a well of depth h. This is equal to the time it takes a rock to fall a distance h plue the time it takes sound to travel a distance h. Then solve for h given the time is 2.3 seconds. For the second part, do the same thing ignoring sound travel time and calculate your percentage error.

2. Check to make sure you have the shell falling in the correct direction.

thank you i got #2 correct, I'm still stuck on the first one though

how would i go about finding the time it would take you to hear the splash for a well of depth h?

1a is straightforward. You are given time and asked to find the distance. You should be able to write an equation of motion that relates distance, velocity, and time. Right? You know 2 of the 3 parameters, so solve for distance. Hint: think of the splash sound as a particle that starts moving up when the rock hits the water.

Re 1b, I don't understand it.

Last edited:
"1a is straightforward. You are given time and asked to find the distance. You should be able to write an equation of motion that relates distance, velocity, and time. Right? You know 2 of the 3 parameters, so solve for distance. Hint: think of the splash sound as a particle that starts moving up when the rock hits the water."

here's what I'm doing and so far to no avail

yf= yi + Vot + 1/2(-g)t^2

0 = h + 336(2.3) +1/2(-9.8)(2.3)^2

-h = 772.8 - 25.9

-h = 746.9

am i on the right track or on the wrong train completely?

You are on the right track. What you want is yf - yi. One more thing, sound is massless and isn't acted upon by gravity.

What you want is yf - yi. One more thing, sound is massless and isn't acted upon by gravity.

yf-yi = Vot

??

man I'm stupid

You are told both [tex]v_0[/tex] and t.

here's what i know

Yi= h
Yf= 0
t= 2.3s
Vo= 336m/s
g = -9.8

and i want to use Yf-Yi= Vot + 1/2(g)^2

correct?

1/2g^2 cancels out because of there being no g

-h = 336(2.3)

i guess my way of using the formula is wrong?

I believe you have it. Wait. I re-read the problem. If I understand correctly, the 2.3 seconds is the time it takes the rock to fall the height of the well into the water + the time for the sound to go from the water to the top of the well. A bit more complicated...

Last edited:
this program is saying my answer is incorrect

Yep, see my edit. Do you know the mass of the rock?

no mass for the rock, everything that is given is in the problem above

I think I have it:

1. get x1 in terms of t1 from the equation of motion, where x1 is the distance the rock travels from the top of the well to the water. Actually, mass doesn't enter into the equation

2. get x2 in terms of t2 from the equation of motion (of the sound), where x2 is the distance that sound travels from the water to the top of the well. In this case, g doesn't enter into the equation

3. set x1 = x2 (i.e. the 2 distances are the same)

4. You know t1 + t2 = 2.3 sec

5. You have 2 equations in 2 unkowns that you can solve for t1 and therefore, for x1

1. get x1 in terms of t1 from the equation of motion, where x1 is the distance the rock travels from the top of the well to the water. Actually, mass doesn't enter into the equation

xf1 = xi1 + Vox1 (t1)

xf1-xi1 = Vox1 (t1)

xf1-xi1/Vox1 = t1

2. get x2 in terms of t2 from the equation of motion (of the sound), where x2 is the distance that sound travels from the water to the top of the well. In this case, g doesn't enter into the equation

xf2 = xi2 + Vox2 (t2)

xf2-xi2 = Vox2 (t2)

xf2-xi2/Vox2 = t2

3. set x1 = x2 (i.e. the 2 distances are the same)

xf1-xi1/Vox1 = xf2-xi2/Vox2

edit: thank you very much, I'm going to try to pick this back up tomorrow

Last edited:
The falling rock is acted upon by gravity but has no initial velocity:

[tex]x_1 = \frac{1}{2} g t_1^2[/tex]

The sound particle isn't acted upon by gravity but has an initial velocity:

[tex]x_2 = v_0 t_2[/tex]

Were you able to solve it? The answer I got for the well depth using the above methodology was somewhere between 20 and 30 m.

Last edited:

1. How do I start solving a phys201 problem?

To start solving a phys201 problem, it is important to first understand the problem statement and what is being asked. Then, identify the known and unknown quantities, and determine which equations and concepts are relevant to the problem. This will help guide your approach to solving the problem.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a phys201 problem?

If you get stuck on a phys201 problem, it is important to take a step back and try to approach the problem from a different angle. You can also refer back to your notes, textbook, or other resources for guidance. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to reach out to your instructor or classmates for help.

3. How do I know which equations to use for a phys201 problem?

The key to determining which equations to use for a phys201 problem is to understand the concepts behind the equations. Make sure you have a strong understanding of the underlying physics principles and how they relate to the problem. This will help you choose the appropriate equations to use.

4. How can I check if my answer to a phys201 problem is correct?

One way to check if your answer to a phys201 problem is correct is to plug it back into the original equations and see if it satisfies all of the given conditions. You can also compare your answer to the expected or known values, if provided. Additionally, checking your units and significant figures can help catch any errors in your calculations.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in phys201?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in phys201 is to practice, practice, practice. Working through a variety of problems will help you gain a better understanding of the concepts and how to apply them to different scenarios. You can also try explaining the problem and your solution to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.