Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Several Questions on Electric Potential

1. Jul 13, 2004 #1
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask these two questions on electric potential that are having me a bit stuck:

A thin rod of length 2L is centered on the x axis on a coordinate plane... The rod carries a unif. distr. charge Q. Determine the potential V as a funct of y for the points along the Y axis.

My problem with this--- its not an infinite rod!! I understand that since this rod is of specified length, we will have to some tricky math here and end up doing an integral with our limits for the rod (IE -L and L)... but would all this be is essentially the equation one can derive for the same situation for ELECTRIC FIELD, and just multiply by r? (Where r is the dist on the y axis)

Another Question is suppose a conducting sphere of diameter d is charged to a certain voltage V relative to V = 0 at r = infinity.

How can we find an equation sets up the surface charge density sigma?
    (Just in general)

I appreciate any help thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2004 #2
    Electric Field:

[tex] \def\vr{\mathord{\vec r}} \providecommand{\abs}[1]{\lvert #1 \rvert}
    \vec E (\vr) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\int\frac{\rho(\vr\ ')(\vr-\vr\ ')}{\abs{\vr-\vr\ '}^3}d l'[/tex]

Electric potential:
    [tex]
    \def\vr{\mathord{\vec r}} \providecommand{\abs}[1]{\lvert #1 \rvert}
    &\phi(\vr)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac{\rho(\vr\ ')}{\abs{\vr-\vr\ '}}d l '[/tex]

And for the 2nd prob

[tex] E_{outside shell} - E_{inside shell} = \frac {\sigma}{\epsilon_0} \vec n[/tex]

Where n is the unit normal vector pointing out of the shell

4. Jul 14, 2004 #3
    Excellent that first one makes perfect sense now--- thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?