Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Several Series Test Questions

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey everyone, I have some problems here involving the comparision test and Alternating series tests for series. I've solved most but there are about five i'm lost on. All I'm asking for is a couple hints. Thanks Theres only one alternating series question so I'll put that first.

AST:
    [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} (-1)^nsin(\pi/n) [/tex]

Comparison or Limit Comparison:

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{n^2+1}{n^3-1}[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{1}{n!} [/tex]

[tex] \sum^{infty}_{n=1} \sin(\frac{1}{n}) [/tex]

OK and this last one :

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{5+2n}{(1+n^2)^2}[/tex]

I know I dont have any work but I'm stuck on these five. All I'm asking for is a couple hints thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You can do a little work. Do you understand these methods? Where exactly are you getting stuck?

4. Sep 12, 2006 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alright for the comparison or limit test problems I get stuck trying to find the series to compare it too. Is there any advice that makes picking a comarison series easier? I'l work on these a little more and post what I get.

5. Sep 12, 2006 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah I got the answer for the first comparison test question, that is divergent I ended up comparing it to N^2/N^3.

6. Sep 12, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

OK, that works. The same idea for works for the last one. For the sin(1/n) one, consider what sin(x) looks like as x->0. For the n! one, think geometric series.

7. Sep 12, 2006 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, got the last one. I multiplied out the denominator and then found a comparison. Still stuck on the sin and factorial ones tough.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Sep 12, 2006 #7

StatusX

Homework Helper

So.... do you know what sin(x) looks like as x->0 or what a geometric series is?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook