1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Several Series Test Questions

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey everyone, I have some problems here involving the comparision test and Alternating series tests for series. I've solved most but there are about five i'm lost on. All I'm asking for is a couple hints. Thanks Theres only one alternating series question so I'll put that first.

AST:
    [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} (-1)^nsin(\pi/n) [/tex]

Comparison or Limit Comparison:

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{n^2+1}{n^3-1}[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{1}{n!} [/tex]

[tex] \sum^{infty}_{n=1} \sin(\frac{1}{n}) [/tex]

OK and this last one :

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{5+2n}{(1+n^2)^2}[/tex]

I know I dont have any work but I'm stuck on these five. All I'm asking for is a couple hints thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You can do a little work. Do you understand these methods? Where exactly are you getting stuck?

4. Sep 12, 2006 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alright for the comparison or limit test problems I get stuck trying to find the series to compare it too. Is there any advice that makes picking a comarison series easier? I'l work on these a little more and post what I get.

5. Sep 12, 2006 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah I got the answer for the first comparison test question, that is divergent I ended up comparing it to N^2/N^3.

6. Sep 12, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

OK, that works. The same idea for works for the last one. For the sin(1/n) one, consider what sin(x) looks like as x->0. For the n! one, think geometric series.

7. Sep 12, 2006 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, got the last one. I multiplied out the denominator and then found a comparison. Still stuck on the sin and factorial ones tough.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Sep 12, 2006 #7

StatusX

Homework Helper

So.... do you know what sin(x) looks like as x->0 or what a geometric series is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?