Several Series Test Questions

In summary, the conversation is about the comparison and alternating series tests for series. The person has solved most of the problems but is stuck on five of them and is asking for hints. They mention one alternating series question and four comparison or limit comparison questions involving different series. They also mention being stuck on finding the series to compare to for the comparison or limit comparison problems and ask for advice on making it easier. The conversation ends with the person stating they have solved one of the comparison test questions and are still stuck on the other ones involving sin(1/n) and n!.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hey everyone, I have some problems here involving the comparision test and Alternating series tests for series. I've solved most but there are about five I'm lost on. All I'm asking for is a couple hints. Thanks Theres only one alternating series question so I'll put that first.

AST:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} (-1)^nsin(\pi/n) [/tex]

Comparison or Limit Comparison:

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{n^2+1}{n^3-1}[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{1}{n!} [/tex]

[tex] \sum^{infty}_{n=1} \sin(\frac{1}{n}) [/tex]

OK and this last one :

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{5+2n}{(1+n^2)^2}[/tex]
I know I don't have any work but I'm stuck on these five. All I'm asking for is a couple hints thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can do a little work. Do you understand these methods? Where exactly are you getting stuck?

Alright for the comparison or limit test problems I get stuck trying to find the series to compare it too. Is there any advice that makes picking a comarison series easier? I'l work on these a little more and post what I get.

Yeah I got the answer for the first comparison test question, that is divergent I ended up comparing it to N^2/N^3.

OK, that works. The same idea for works for the last one. For the sin(1/n) one, consider what sin(x) looks like as x->0. For the n! one, think geometric series.

OK, got the last one. I multiplied out the denominator and then found a comparison. Still stuck on the sin and factorial ones tough.

Last edited:
So... do you know what sin(x) looks like as x->0 or what a geometric series is?

What is a Several Series Test?

A Several Series Test is a mathematical tool used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves evaluating the behavior of the terms in a series to determine if the series will approach a finite value or diverge to infinity.

What are the different types of Several Series Tests?

There are several types of Several Series Tests, including the Integral Test, Comparison Test, Ratio Test, Root Test, and Alternating Series Test. Each test has its own specific criteria for determining convergence or divergence of a series.

How do you use the Integral Test to determine convergence or divergence?

The Integral Test involves comparing the behavior of a given series to the behavior of an equivalent definite integral. If the integral is convergent, then the series is also convergent. If the integral is divergent, then the series is also divergent.

What is the Comparison Test and when is it used?

The Comparison Test involves comparing a given series to a known convergent or divergent series. If the given series behaves similarly to the known series, then it will have the same convergence or divergence behavior. This test is often used when the terms of a series are difficult to evaluate individually.

How do you use the Ratio Test to determine convergence or divergence?

The Ratio Test involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in a series. If the limit is less than 1, then the series is absolutely convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, then the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, then the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.