1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Severe Condition (85°C/95% or Water Immersion)

1. Hello All,

I'm currently testing a product for environmental test but i don't know what test do i conduct for this one.

I would like to ask your help if which is more severe environment.

1. Damp Heat Test (85°C / 85% R.H)
    2. Damp Heat Test (85°C / 95% R.H)
    3. Water Immersion Test (85°C at 1 meter depth)

And may i know why? thank you...

2. jcsd
  3. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A routine "Accelerated Life Test" (ALT) for electronic products is 85% RH at 85C for 1000 hours, while powered-up and operating. This test finds problems with assembly methods, cleanliness, and "microclimates" (enclosed areas of the assembly where moisture can accumulate and not evaporate). If you have assembly cleanliness issues and enclosed microclimates (like inside potted assemblies), you can get dendritic growth/migration of copper between traces at different voltages, which eventually leads to the traces shorting out or opening.

I'm not familiar with a 95% RH test, nor a submersion test. What kind of product are you testing?

4. I'm planning to test WDM optical components quickly at severe environment to see its performance over time.

85% RH at 85C for 1000 hours is a routine test for us but they want a faster results.

5. 1 person likes this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted