Sexxx ed/stopping teenage pregnancy idea

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary: Maybe child neglect? Having a baby is such a traumatizing and evil event that some men even take a knife to their own crotch in the hopes of never having to have a baby again. In summary, having a baby is a traumatizing event that some men take a knife to their own crotch in hopes of never having to have one again.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I had the greatest idea. You know the best way to stop kids from making baybays when they're not ready? Schools should have programs where teenagers have to look after babies for a few hours every day for a few weeks. Having a baby is such a traumatizing and evil event that some men even take a knife to their own crotch in the hopes of never having to have a baby again.

This would totally work. IM SO SMART.

DISCUSS!

Physics news on Phys.org
I usually use a lighter to ignite my testicles whenever I even hear a baby cry in the distance.

this will definitely work
but what if something happens to these babies?

Or, maybe a 15 year old's maternal instinct would kick in and she would WANT kids?

Where are you getting these babies anyhow?

In related news: Basel, Switzerland - sex ed is being taught in kindergarden with a 'sex box'. Out of decency, I hessitate to link directly to an article that has pictures (one of the links in that article links to a translated version of the local newspaper which does have pictures). It's definitely odd...

My mother used to work as a nurse and once had to explain to a teen exactly how she became pregnant. That might sound bizarre and rare, but the highest rates of abortions, STDs, etc. are in the Bible Belt where even talking about such things is taboo. In some places like West Virginia 90% of the population believes in ghosts and witches and that the Devil is literally walking the earth. These aren't the sharpest tacks around and a baby can often be viewed as a status symbol.

I once met a girl who's grandmother got married at 16, her mother at 15, and she was out to break the family record. I ran in the opposite direction, but I saw her again ten years later. Sure enough, she had broken the record and now had 6 kids.

Ok new plan. All kids must visit West Virginia for a week.

There were weird plans like that in the UK (and the US I think?) Where the kids are given dolls that are meant to simulate babies. They have to walk around with them and they periodically cry, scream, need to be fed, need to be changed blah blah. The chip inside keeps track of how good the parent is and you have to pass the course.

Trouble was very few schools did it, I only knew of one and they dumped it pretty quick when kids started just leaving the dolls on park benches. The local church took it on which was a surprise, I didn't realize how high their teen pregnancy rate was...

mege said:
Or, maybe a 15 year old's maternal instinct would kick in and she would WANT kids?

In related news: Basel, Switzerland - sex ed is being taught in kindergarden with a 'sex box'. Out of decency, I hessitate to link directly to an article that has pictures (one of the links in that article links to a translated version of the local newspaper which does have pictures). It's definitely odd...

I like to think that there is a nice middle ground between sexual repression and obligatory touching in kindergarten. However, maybe I'm just too sane for the world we live in. :uhh:

Not fair to the good kids.

If teens get pregnant, then the government should exile them as punishment.Because they are not going to learn.

Pengwuino said:
Schools should have programs where teenagers have to look after babies for a few hours every day for a few weeks.

It would be too traumatizing for the babies. Heck, I'm traumatized just by the sight of teenagers. :biggrin:

mege said:

wow, that reminds me of "hunt-the-zipper" from http://www.huxley.net/bnw/ten.html" .
Above them, in ten successive layers of dormitory, the little boys and girls who were still young enough to need an afternoon sleep were as busy as every one else, though they did not know it, listening unconsciously to hypnopædic lessons in hygiene and sociability, in class-consciousness and the toddler's love-life. Above these again were the playrooms where, the weather having turned to rain, nine hundred older children were amusing themselves with bricks and clay modelling, hunt-the-zipper, and erotic play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
Schools should have programs where teenagers have to look after babies for a few hours every day for a few weeks.

Silly idea. The parents of those babies would be prosecuted for child abuse.

ryan_m_b said:
There were weird plans like that in the UK (and the US I think?) Where the kids are given dolls that are meant to simulate babies. They have to walk around with them and they periodically cry, scream, need to be fed, need to be changed blah blah. The chip inside keeps track of how good the parent is and you have to pass the course.

Trouble was very few schools did it, I only knew of one and they dumped it pretty quick when kids started just leaving the dolls on park benches. The local church took it on which was a surprise, I didn't realize how high their teen pregnancy rate was...

The local high school has a class like that. You see kids packing a baby carrier around. Of course many carry it like it was their laundry, not a infant.

Pengwuino said:
Ok new plan. All kids must visit West Virginia for a week.
Buwahahaha

What about the little kids that have kids?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28978568/detail.html

Topher925 said:
What about the little kids that have kids?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28978568/detail.html

i have a niece who outgrew her mother in every way before turning 12. from a distance, they look almost identical except for hair color. fortunately, she's somewhat academically gifted and has enough sense to avoid that outcome. but it's obvious already that the pressure from older boys will be there in spades.

wuliheron said:
I once met a girl who's grandmother got married at 16, her mother at 15, and she was out to break the family record. I ran in the opposite direction, but I saw her again ten years later. Sure enough, she had broken the record and now had 6 kids.

I recently discussed it with my pre-teen daughter.

First argument, a claim to authority, "I want you to be a virgin until forty" was met with little respect. So that didn't help.

Second argument, an absurdity, "I want to be a grandfather soon, so you should learn to drink breezers and hang out with boyfriends" made her think a bit more.

Still some years left.

Edit: I forgot the "I will laugh my head off for the rest of my life if you get knocked-up early." Which was also pretty puzzling to her. :smile:

I just told my girls that when they decided to have sex, let me know so I could get them birth control pills and condoms. They did. Good girls.

I'd much rather have my 16 year old tell me that she's had sex and needs birth control than my 16 year old coming to me and telling me that she's pregnant.

My high school had a parenting course (optional). You would carry around a doll that would cry etc.

rootX said:
My high school had a parenting course (optional). You would carry around a doll that would cry etc.

that's great. how heavy was it?

Evo said:
I just told my girls that when they decided to have sex, let me know so I could get them birth control pills and condoms. They did. Good girls.

Same thought here. I just bother them a bit to make everything discussable and so that at some point I hope they'll at least know what they're messing with, whom they're messing with, and why they're messing with whomever.

Edit: I tend to raise the kids by postulating jokes and absurd statements, and check or steer their responses. The joke is that I'll consider them adults by the time we can have dialectical discussion on the pragmatism and semiotics of Charles Sanders Pierce as explained by Thomas Sebeok. They're still pretty clueless what I mean by that so still some years to go.

MarcoD said:
Same thought here. I just bother them a bit to make everything discussable and so that at some point I hope they'll at least know what they're messing with, whom they're messing with, and why they're messing with whomever.
:biggrin: That's the best approach, teens need to feel that they can discuss anything with their parents. Whenever I've seen teens in trouble, they were the ones that had really strict parents and felt that they couldn't talk to their parents about what was happening in their lives because of what their parents reaction would be. Any parent that thinks they can just tell a teen not to do something and believe that their child won't decide to test the waters is in denial of reality. Your child is more likely to listen to you if you have established trust and open communication.

My kids were normal, they sometimes decided to find out for themselves if I was right. They'd come to me and say "you were right!". :tongue: Luckily they never got into drugs, drinking, or rebelious/self destructive behavior and a big part of that was that they chose their friends wisely. That was something I worked at since they were toddlers, I would point out people that did "dumb" things and we would all agree that we didn't want to be "dumb". I constantly reinforced this and it took hold. They'd always tell me when someone did something dumb and that they planned to avoid the person. Phew.

Proton Soup said:
that's great. how heavy was it?

I never dared to hold those dolls :shy:

Our school had both parenting and male/female sex education classes but I didn't take either.

I thought sex-ed in the 6th grade was too soon and opted out for my daughter. Maybe I was wrong however.

rootX said:
I never dared to hold those dolls :shy:

Our school had both parenting and male/female sex education classes but I didn't take either.
"that dingo's got your baby!" I love frasier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19A8hOKkph8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19A8hOKkph8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Evo said:
"that dingo's got your baby!" I love frasier.
:rofl:
I was thinking about the episode, too. That was one of the funniest ones.

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl:
I was thinking about the episode, too. That was one of the funniest ones.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: it was a good one! I <3 frasier

Evo said:

I'd much rather have my 16 year old tell me that she's had sex and needs birth control than my 16 year old coming to me and telling me that she's pregnant.

Same here. And when it did happen (that is, when my daughter needed birth control), I kept it strictly business - no judging or lecturing. But by that time (she was 16) she had already been making her own decisions for a few years.

Re the OP: I've heard of high schools assigning those dolls, but when I was in high school they used an egg, for some reason :confused:.

Learning how difficult an infant can be is useful information in general, but I don't think aversion techniques like that are particularly effective for teens. They're too sure "it's not going to happen to me". Peer pressure is effective, though; fortunately, at my daughter's high school, it was still regarded as *stupid* to allow yourself to get pregnant at that age.

Pengwuino said:
So I had the greatest idea. You know the best way to stop kids from making baybays when they're not ready? Schools should have programs where teenagers have to look after babies for a few hours every day for a few weeks. Having a baby is such a traumatizing and evil event that some men even take a knife to their own crotch in the hopes of never having to have a baby again.

This would totally work. IM SO SMART.

DISCUSS!

The very first post in the You Tube thread says it all. No classes needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qy03kC5iQU

Pengwuino said:
So I had the greatest idea. You know the best way to stop kids from making baybays when they're not ready? Schools should have programs where teenagers have to look after babies for a few hours every day for a few weeks.

How about simply requiring them to volunteer their time working at an onsite daycare facility for the school? It could be staffed by regulars, but each room's full-time teacher would be augmented by student helpers. If parents object about kids not getting an education, just lump it under "life skills."

Not sure it would work, though, as it might give kids the false impression, "This isn't so bad." Tighter budgets might be more effective.

1. What is the current state of sex education in schools?

The current state of sex education in schools varies by state and even by school district. Some schools may have comprehensive sex education programs that cover topics such as safe sex, consent, and contraception, while others may only teach abstinence-only education.

2. Does sex education actually reduce the rate of teenage pregnancy?

Studies have shown that comprehensive sex education programs, which include information about contraception and safe sex practices, can help reduce the rate of teenage pregnancy. However, the effectiveness of these programs may also depend on other factors such as access to healthcare and socioeconomic status.

3. What is the role of parents in sex education?

Parents play an important role in sex education, as they are often the primary source of information for their children. It is important for parents to have open and honest conversations with their children about sex, consent, and healthy relationships. They can also support comprehensive sex education in schools and provide access to resources and healthcare for their children.

4. How can we address the issue of teenage pregnancy?

Addressing the issue of teenage pregnancy requires a multi-faceted approach. This includes comprehensive sex education in schools, access to affordable and reliable contraception, and support for pregnant and parenting teenagers. It also involves addressing underlying issues such as poverty, lack of education, and limited access to healthcare.

5. What are some effective ways to prevent teenage pregnancy?

Some effective ways to prevent teenage pregnancy include comprehensive sex education, access to contraception, and promoting healthy relationships and communication. It is also important to address social and economic factors that may contribute to teenage pregnancy, such as poverty and lack of access to resources. Additionally, providing support and resources for pregnant and parenting teenagers can help reduce the rate of teenage pregnancy.